Sunday, October 20, 2024

Weekly update: sunny days, a concert, more homespun + reading


 Oh, such glorious fall weather!  


We revisited Illinois Beach State Park, Rollins Savanna, and the Des Plaines River Canoe Launch.

Left:  ground cherry (in husks).  Oak leaves, compass plant seed head, prickly pear with fruit, a determined chicory flower, aster, and horse-nettle ("all parts of the plant are poisonous," says the Picture This app).



A friend told me about this trail adjacent to the Rec Plex in Pleasant Prairie, just over the state line.  We checked it out this afternoon (Sunday). 





Saturday evening we went to the College of Lake County (our community college) to hear the Blind Boys of Alabama . They were great!   And with the senior discount our tickets were just $32.50 each. 

Note that I said "evening."  Now that I've had cataracts removed I can see to drive at night.  It makes such a difference! 

# # # # # #

This week I replaced broken things.  The coffeemaker was purchased in 2021 ($).  The Cuisinart food processor was purchased in 1991 ($$).  The molar (#19 per the tooth chart), grown approx. 1959 ($$$$).  [I'm kicking myself for pitching the work bowl from the burned-out Cuisinart because it would fit the new one.  I did save the blades, though.)


# # # # # 

In the studio:   here's the next homespun project I alluded to.   





I'm adapting it from a pattern in a quilt book from 1998.  The pattern uses 1-1/2" strips for 7-1/2" blocks but suggests using 2" strips for 11-1/2" blocks.  I'm doing the latter.   



Perhaps you had this book -- and perhaps you still do! 

(The quiltmaker is (was) Mary Radke of Yorkville, Illinois.  That's in Wanda's neck of the woods. I wonder if she knows her.)



# # # # #

During her long life and illustrious career Marie Curie mentored many women scientists.  Sobel includes them in this interesting approach to biography.  I admit that I didn't completely understand all the scientific terminology, though Sobel explained it (fairly) clearly.

I'm a life member of AAUW which helped raise money so Mme Curie could  purchase a gram of radium .


Linking up with Oh Scrap!  Sew and Tell   Design Wall Monday

P.S.   A woolly bear caterpillar on the trail.  Weather lore says the wider the black bands the more severe the winter will be.  




6 comments:

  1. I have "Relax and Quilt". Thanks for reminding me of it. I love your homespun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, replacing broken things.....I have a growing list that will be addressed after an upcoming trip, it's going to be a great relief! Always a struggle to get the broken things out the door, precisely because of the fear of discarding something subsequently discovered to be useful. I say it's worth the rare error to have the space!

    Need to look up wooly bears, I haven't seen one in years!! Looking in the wrong places, perhaps.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun and busy week! (Except for the crown replacement, lol!) Beautiful spot for your walk and a pretty quilt project, too. The Marie Curie book sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. in maine it's pine cones...if there is a bumper crop the winter will be fierce...and love the quilt...i saved that pattern as well...nice to see it done in those homespuns...i just happen to have a few...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cataract surgery was definitely life changing! So glad I didn't wait longer to do it. And I've always said that appliances have sympathy pains with each other. Replace one and a couple more will follow soon after. That is a great quilt pattern. I think I saved that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I knew Mary Radke. She and I worked and taught quiltmaking at the same quilt shop, QBU in Batavia, IL. Her whole house was homespun. She was the homespun queen at our shop. She passed away about 2 years ago and I hope her daughters are treasuring her beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.