Sunday, September 15, 2024

Weekly update: golf, "fringed" benefits, and project at random



The 24th annual Jack McElmurry/Jake Zappa Memorial Golf Tournament on Friday was a great success.   





The weather was beautiful and all the golfers (36 foursomes, a full course) had a good time.




I helped with set up and brought Stevens to the banquet.  It was great to see some long-time friends. 

The old guys: Nate, Phil, Stevens

Jack was a charter member of the club and an avid golfer. He came up with the idea of the golf outing that has become our signature fundraiser.  He passed away in 2003.  His widow and their four daughters and their families continue to be major supporters.  

Jake was Jack's eldest grandson.  Though he wasn't a golfer he attended every outing except 2018 when one of his daughters was born. He served as club president and event chair in 2021 and 2022.  Tragically he died in an accident in April, age 34.  A portion of the proceeds from this year's outing was designated for his wife and four children.  All of them were there and Isaiah, age 8, led the Pledge of Allegiance. 

# # # # # #

This weekend's walks were in two very different sections of the lakefront.  

Friday afternoon:  I found a lot of fringed gentian at Illinois Beach State Park.  You can see the fringes clearly in this photo.  






Sunday afternoon:   It's been a while since we visited Fort Sheridan.  It was an army post from 1887-1993.  When it was decommissioned the Forest Preserves got the open space.   The officers' and enlisted men's quarters have been remodeled as private homes.   (Upscale!  Access to the beach and, across the road, to commuter rail to the city.) 
 

The former beach clubhouse is now residences.  The Chicago skyline is barely visible in the lower photo.

# # # # # #

I gave the demo about sewing with neckties at the guild's Saturday workshop.   It was well-received!   Now I've tidied up all that part of the stash, but because I prepped so many with iron-on interfacing I have a feeling I'll return to them sooner than later. 

But meanwhile, because I'm looking ahead to my Road Scholar trip (departing Thursday!), I don't want to get involved in anything that I'll have to leave for ten days.   I came across the  magazine pattern for asterisk blocks (Karen Griska). I began a batch to keep me occupied during evening TV time (currently on Season 2 of The Bear).  


Linking up with Oh Scrap! and  Design Wall Monday  Sew and Tell

7 comments:

  1. I have the magazine with the asterisk pattern in it too. I even have it open to that page on a table in my basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the golf tournament did well. It's always so sad to hear of a family losing their husband/father so young. Your asterisk blocks are really fun. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i love those blocks...they would keep me busy as well...pretty fringed gentian...where are you off to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting block! Thanks for sharing in my Sew & Tell party. Enjoy your trip. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a perfect day for a golf tournament!
    I'd love to watch 'The Bear' but sadly we don't have the right streaming service. Our son, who is a chef, says it's very true-to-life....so much so that he finds it hard to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you play in the golf tournament? :) I enjoy playing golf, but not sure I'm tournament material. Sounds like a wonderful event, though. Where are you going on your Road Scholar trip? Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is one lonely asterisk star block, done in bright Christmas fabrics, hanging in a forgotten corner of my design wall. It's probably going to become another mug rug. It was fun to make so I'm not sure why I didn't do more of them at the time.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.