Monday, April 29, 2024

Weekly update: two luncheons and WITB leads to a finished quilt

 
"Destination Heartland History"  was the topic at the Clara Cummings Book Club luncheon on Thursday. Cynthia Clampitt enjoys discovering lesser-known sites and attractions as she travels.  She began the program explaining that the historical midwest covers a lot of territory -- Ohio to North Dakota, Michigan to Kansas.  She reminded us that Laura Ingalls Wilder (=pioneer) and Frank Lloyd Wright (=modern) were born in Wisconsin, four months and 150 miles apart.  Pioneer museums, the oldest still-operating restaurant/bar in a town/county, windmills and lighthouses -- so many interesting places.   


We've been to a number of them.  Now we have a guidebook for a road trip or two to see more.

(Cynthia highlighted the attractions in Sara's town.)

(80+ years ago an exclusive Waukegan women's club excluded Clara Cummings so she started a club of her own. They used to host book reviewers. Now they (we) host historical interpreters and lecturers, four luncheons a year.   AAUW, GFWC, and P.E.O. friends are among the regular attendees.)




The P.E.O. Lake County Round Table celebrated Founders Day on Saturday.  100 sisters from 13 chapters attended.  Through my participation in the LCRT and at the state level I've gotten to know so many of these women!   "The Hats We Wore" highlighted each of the seven international programs by the years they were established. The models wore hats that were fashionable in those years.  

The projects:  Educational Loan Fund, Program for Continuing Education, Cottey College, International Peace Scholarship, P.E.O. Scholars, STAR scholarship, and a proposal for a trade school scholarship.


My chapter had registration.  Ask a busy person and it will be done right:  Linda B. had it all under control.


# # # # #


WITB = What's In the Box?  This weekend I uncovered/unearthed the beginnings of a maze quilt. It was a prototype for the MQG mini-swap quilt I made in 2023.   I had three rounds pieced.   I fussy-cut many, many more motifs (mostly flowers, some circles) and kept going until I'd used up all of that particular black print.    The squares and strips are 3.5" and finish at 3".  The quilt is 51 x 54.  5 yards including backing and binding.


Linking up with Design Wall Monday  Oh Scrap!  Sew and Tell




P. S.   Here's the first maze quilt I made in early 2023.  Blocks are 5" finished. 



Here's the MQG swap from February, 2023.  (For which this weekend's quilt was a sample.)   This is 24 x 26 and the blocks are 2" finished.  The strips are cut 3/4".   


8 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for a fun way to use up strips, especially thin ones! These mazes are sparking ideas.

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those maze quilts are wonderful!! Like a puzzle "I Spy"--what fun!!
    The "be-hatted" { no a word, I know ;)))} ladies are so neat!! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i like those maze quilts....such a versatile pattern....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure that 2" finished blocks are not in my future. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd be using 2" blocks even if it was striped fabric. I can't deny that it's a mini thing of beauty but still no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your groups and their programs always sound so interesting! I love the maze quilts, too. Do you put them together from the center out (like a giant log cabin)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've seen a maze quilt before, but have to say it's a very effective design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandchildren would love those maze quilts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your maze quilts are really fun.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.