Monday, April 8, 2024

Weekly update: out and about, eclipse day, goal progress + reading

Today is eclipse day.  Though I'm writing this post beforehand I hope to get some photos to add this afternoon.   


We two Rotarians had Kiwanis pancakes at the Moose lodge -- that's cultural diversity.   I bought $30 in raffle tickets and won three baskets.  (I've already donated one to another community group for their upcoming spaghetti dinner fundraiser.) 



 We enjoyed a concert Sunday afternoon.  Great covers of Sinatra and other classic vocals.  

My program had one of the winning stickers for a door prize, a dessert from a local bakery.  
# # # # #
In the studio:  a quick start-and-finish:  a placemat for the guild charity project. 
My April OMG is a hollyhock wall hanging.  I chose a realistic design rather than a country folk art design. The pattern arrived mid-week.  
 I had all the fabric in my stash, including a never-used package of stabilizer (estate sale, probably).  

The tedious part was tracing all the shapes on fusible web. The instructions were very clear as to which shapes went on which of the 9 different fabrics, and then which shapes composed each flower and leaf.

 

And here's the flimsy. After fusing the appliques in place I free-motioned to sew them all down.   The finished size is 9 x 22.      
# # # # #


In 1965 teen-aged Frances Adams has her fortune told at a country fair. That prediction dominates the rest of her life, affecting her friendships with Rose and Emily and the boys they're hanging out with.  Emily goes missing. The case goes cold.   Frances marries the wealthiest man in the village and spends the next decades trying to solve, or evade, or confront that long-ago fortune.                                                                                                                             Sixty-five years later Annie, Frances' great niece and an aspiring writer, receives notice that she will be an heir to Frances' estate. She travels from London to the village to meet with Frances and her attorney. When she arrives Frances is dead -- murdered.  According to the fortune?  Perhaps.  By whom?                                                                                                           By the terms of Frances' revised will Annie may inherit the estate -- if she solves the murder before anyone else.   Annie's up for the challenge. 
What a delightfully complicated mystery!


I have been fascinated by Martha Ballard's story since Laurel Thatcher Ulrich published her scholarly biography/explication A Midwife's Tale in 1990.  Ballard was a midwife in Hallowell, Maine, in the 1700's.   At the time I was a librarian in Maine and on the Maine Library Commission so I was familiar with its (re)discovery.                                                                                                                                                                At first I approached Lawhon's novel thinking it was biographical fiction--that is, a reworking of Ulrich's study with added narrative.   I soon switched my thinking and treated the novel as historical fiction-- that is, using Martha Ballard, her profession, her family, and her milieu as the basis for a story about the ways that men used their power (social, political, physical) to abuse women. The brutal rape of the pastor's wife showcases that abuse.  Details about everyday life add dimension:  Martha's medical expertise goes beyond midwifery to a sort of holistic care (treating a woman's migraines, for example).  There is dramatic tension in her own family with a threat to her husband's livelihood (a fraudulent attempt by those same men-in-power) and her young adult children's lives and loves.    

I would have given The Frozen River a higher rating but there were a number of errors/anachronisms. Once I found the first one I kept looking for others, and found them.  
The most egregious to me as a quilt maker was on p. 193:  “Every year I make an extra quilt, sewn in bits and pieces at night before the fire…every year I choose this same pattern. It is called Wedding Rings, soft loops intertwined and set against a pale background with a solid border.”   As you know, Double Wedding Ring is a 20th century pattern.  Moreover, 18th century quilts are well-documented. The author could easily have looked up images of period-correct quilts and described them.

 62 & 144 – Ephraim “does the math”   Grammarist.com says:  “'Do the math' is a relatively recent addition to the English language, with its usage traceable to the mid-20th century.”
 68 wedding ring (worn by a man)  https://academic.oup.com/jsh/article-abstract/36/4/837/920111?
“The American double wedding ring ceremony can be traced to the 1940’s and 1950’s when the jewelry industry invented the tradition of the groom’s wedding band and the marrying public adopted it with a vengeance.”
71 & elsewhere “trained medical professional” – would this term be used in 1789? 
115 bolt of soft blue cotton / 117 bolt of pale green silk
http://americancenturies.mass.edu/activities/dressup/notflash/1700_woman.html
“their clothing would usually be made of wool or linen”
Other references to New England apparel at that time indicate that silk was very expensive and was difficult to clean.  A silk dress would be for a very special occasion. How likely was that for Martha in that place and time? 
165 “read the Book of Common Prayer”  The Ballards were Congregational.  Why would they read the Anglican prayer book (especially in post-Revolutionary Maine) rather than the Bible?  
 297 "okay" https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-12503686  "On 23 March 1839, OK was introduced to the world on the second page of the Boston Morning Post, in the midst of a long paragraph, as "o.k. (all correct)".
337 “Cotton to comb” – did they import raw cotton from the southern states to central Maine? 
412/415 “ Live oak tree.”    Live oaks do not grow in Maine.  That’s easy to look up.

P.S. Speaking of editing and proofreading!   (This is the background fabric for the placemat.) 
Linking up with Design Wall Monday  Sew and Tell Oh Scrap!   

8 comments:

  1. I especially appreciate your book reviews - frequently put the book on hold at my local library before even finishing your post. Today I am number 98 to get "How to Solve Your Own Murder". It's a very large library system so hopefully they have many copies!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceci, I'd enjoy responding to you comments but you are "no reply" and I don't have your email address.

      Delete
    2. I know, it seems so rude and I can't seem to fix it....

      ceci

      Delete
    3. Other no-reply repliers just include their email addresses. Or they email me off list.

      Delete
  2. Love the hollyhocks, beautiful! After your review I think I'll just reread A Midwife's Tale. After 30-some years it's overdue, especially since it was one of my favorite reads of all time, and I still have my original copy from 1991.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is a film of a midwife's tale you know....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me laugh so hard when I saw the murmers :D I love your hollyhocks! What a great project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, if you found that many errors in that book it stands to reason that there were likely more. I would have thought the author should have done more due dilegence.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.