Sunday, March 31, 2024

Weekly update: March summary and OMG April

  


The showers held off each afternoon so I could get good walks -- the state park, a forest preserve, and the nature trail at the end of our block.  


A beaver-chewed tree (one of many along that stretch), a beaver lodge, and horsetails.   


 The skunk cabbage has leafed out.  The horn-shaped purple-green flower has a lot of sulfur, hence the name.  


Easter was pleasant. Stevens was able to come to church with me!   I bought a 4-1/2 lb lamb roast. I rubbed it with a mixture of chopped garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and olive oil. It was wonderful and we have leftovers to enjoy.  (Accompaniments were new potatoes and asparagus, spinach/orange/blue cheese salad, and rhubarb upside-down cake.)  

# # # # # #

In the studio:  the homespun nine-patches are a flimsy.  The units are 4.5" finished. 


Stash report for March:

Fabric in:  88 yards, $170, $1.93 per yard average.  (The only shopping I did was at the ongoing estate sale.)

Fabric out:  70 yards.

YTD in: 504-1/2 yards, $845, $1.67 per yard average.  

YTD out:  241-3/4


I'm making 12" churn dash blocks in red, white, and blue for Cynthia's current Compassion Quilts block drive.  I'm putting some of Barb M's estate sale fabric to good use!  My plan is to make 60 blocks.

But that's not my OMG for April -- I have a project with a deadline.  It's a hollyhock-themed wall hanging for the outgoing president of the Zion Woman's Club.  Hollyhocks are the club flower and Judy is an avid gardener.  First thing to do is decide on a pattern and order it!  


Linking up with Oh Scrap  Sew and Tell  Design Wall Monday OMG April

9 comments:

  1. STOP IT! It's very hard to maintain a vegan diet with such a yummy description of your lamb meal!

    This one (https://possumscatsthingsgnawingatme.wordpress.com/2024/03/27/little-adventures-skunk-cabbage-achieved/) has pictures of skunk cabbage that, at first, I though were glass sculptures a la chihuly.

    Happy merry religious holiday,

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them both but partial to RWB churn dashes....sounds like a busy april as usual for you nann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the 9-patches came together!! Just such lovely color variations --soft and cozy looking--great job on this. And your churn dashes are coming together beautifully--this will be another great one!!
    Great that you could get your walking in before the rain...we are due for MORE rain Mon-Thurs this week....I guess it will be the treadmill for us...Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homespun 9 patches turned out beautifully! Your QOV churn dashes is looking good too. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had some interesting walks, and a yummy Easter dinner! I love your 9 patch quilt. That's a pretty setting. Great idea for using up some of your friend's estate sale fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo! Pretty homespun nine patch quilt!! I love it!!! I enjoy your walks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hum, I keep offering more homespun to you -- I can't figure out why you'd rather not get it! 😉 Both flimsies look good to me. Are you going to sew the churn dashes into a top or send them loose so she can sprinkle them amongst other blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing your stash report for the first time - so where did the 70 yards go?

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.