Monday, November 27, 2023

Weekly update: Indigo Way begins, under the needle + reading

 

Sunday brought a dusting of snow.  It looks pretty and I am glad it won't last long.

Photo taken at the state park.  I stopped on the way home from church but I didn't take a walk!

# # # # #

I've made many of the Quiltville mysteries.  I was greatly disappointed in two of them Grand Illusion and Rhododendron Trail) and skipped their immediate successors, Allietare and Chilhowie.  Those turned out to be designs I liked. 

Now it's time for Indigo Way.  I've decided to give it a go.  

I have a hoard of South African indigos but I'm still hoarding them.   These HSTs are made with dark, indigo-ish blues from my stash. 


Arabic Hourglass is under the needle.  I did rip out and re-orient the mis-turned blocks. 

# # # # #

This Civil War story is told from a new perspective.  In 1862 Constance leaves her husband on their southeastern Indiana farm and enlists in the Union Army disguised as a man called Ash Thompson.  Ash tells the first-person experience of skirmishes (mostly), full-blown battles (some), missing her husband (frequent letters home (amazing that the postal service worked efficiently)).  Ash kept the disguise through capture, imprisonment, and confinement in an insane asylum.  Ash carries all the horror and trauma back home.  

Laird Hunt writes concisely and precisely: just enough and no more.  Perfect.

# # # # #  Linking up with Oh Scrap!  Design Wall Monday Sew and Tell

6 comments:

  1. tempted to junp in as well, might opt for half as her quilts tend to be BIG!!...interesting review....no snow here yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH hurrah!!! I too am working on Indigo Way. I have enough dark blues to repeat each twice only. Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you reoriented the blocks. Arabic Hourglass is a beautiful and unique quilt.
    Sharon M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've gotten a good start on Indigo Way. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh - I'm going to enjoy watching your Indigo Way unfold! Not that blue is my favourite colour or anything of the sort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you're doing Indigo Way, Nann!!! I've got to get mine started!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.