Monday, October 16, 2023

Weekly update: two concerts, two estate sales, and a start that's finished

 


The weekend began and ended with concerts.   The Box Band played a lively set of bluegrass, folk, and country at our church on Friday evening.  The Kontras Quartet performed Haydn and Prokofieff at the season opening of the Lake County Community Concert Assn.  on Sunday afternoon.

A friend tipped me off to an estate sale on the west side of town (a street I didn't know existed).  She said there was a lot of sewing stuff.   I went mid-morning Saturday when everything was half off.  I bypassed the upstairs and garage and went to the finished basement which had been the craft room.  The fabric was marked "large $6, medium $3, small $2" meaning marked down to $3, $2.50, $1.00.   I filled two sacks.  I took them upstairs and the woman at checkout said, "How about $40 for all of it?" That was fine with me. 


"All of it" meant these extra items (at half the marked price, $10 total).


Photo shows one side and then the other side of this Aunt Martha's pre-cut kit.  Poly-cotton, it turns out.  Early 90's, I'd say, based on the colors.  


The hard part of this UFO is completed.  The paper-pieced bird blocks are 6".  Sashing fabric included.







But back to the fabric --  by weight, 83 yards.   I paid $30 so that's .36 per yard.

There's a 6-yard Jinny Beyer print and a 3-yard RJR Smithsonian 1990's CW repro in the lot.


Yesterday I went to the second installment of Barb M's estate sale.  Barb was a long-time member of my guild. She passed away about five years ago.  Her fabric stash is gradually being sold with proceeds to charitable causes.  Last month's sale netted $2000 for ovarian cancer research.  This sale will benefit Alzheimer's research.   Paula, who is overseeing the sale, said there are two rooms in Mr. M's house filled with fabric. She predicts two if not three more sales.  

They relocated this sale from Paula's garage to a hotel meeting room.  There were bins of fabric along the walls as well as all this laid out on tables.  All the plastic boxes were Barb's.   2-yard (min.) bundles $5.00.  1-yd+ $2.50.  FQ+ 15 for $5.00.   

The right column = all batiks.

Here's what I bought.  By weight 192 yards, $260.00.  That's $1.35 per yard.

A bonus -- Paula and her group washed ALL of the fabric. 

If I can't NOT buy fabric then I'd darn well better get bargains!  




 # # # # # #

But I did USE some fabric.  

From start to finish in three days.  4 yards.

9" blocks = 45 x 54.



The back.  

The pattern is "On the Up and Up" from American Patchwork and Quilting.  You can get it here.

Linking up with Sew and Tell Design Wall Monday  Oh Scrap!



P.S. Across the road at the Saturday estate sale.  


9 comments:

  1. Wow! Paula seems to be the epitome of working smarter, not harder. How brilliant to space the sales out so that nobody gets too overwhelmed and exhausted, workers and buyers alike! I can't imagine the amount of effort that went on behind the scenes (washed everything? OMG!!)

    Those bird blocks--another WOW! (I know whereof I speak.)

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I think my comment was lost because I was composing it while you were updating this entry.)

    Paula seems to be the epitome of working smarter, not harder. Spacing out the sales like that is a brilliant strategy, as nobody gets overwhelmed/exhausted by the sheer size of the stash, workers and buyers alike. That said, I can't imagine the amount of effort that goes on behind the scenes. Everything washed? OMG!!!

    The bird blocks: WOW!!! (Having pieced my share of little FPP blocks, I recognize the artistry in these.)

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great finds! And I like the scrap quilt design. Fast finishes are fun (as are indefinite time outs LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a TON of fabric--great buys!! Love those little bird blocks--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing additions to your stash, I'm wondering how you manage to keep everything organized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My word, that's some stash enhancement you did!! You're going to have fun making inroads in all that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been very thrifty with your new fabric purchases and still came home with some beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holee molee! What a sale and such bargains. Thanks for sharing in the Sew and Tell linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quiltdivajulie - What a haul!!! And those cranes are just too funny.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.