Sunday, September 10, 2023

Weekly update, part 2: the Great Wisconsin Quilt Show

The 19th Great Wisconsin Quilt Show was September 7-9 in Madison.  This was the fifth time I've gone and the fourth time I've taken a one-day trip by bus, chartered by a local quilt shop.     Irene picked me up at 6:15 a.m. Friday to go to the Kenosha County administration complex to board the bus.  We left  promptly at 7 a.m. and arrived at the Alliant Center (south side of the city) in time for the show opening at 9:00.  

I did a turn around the quilt exhibits first.  (I took photos of the artists' statements so if you want to know more about a quilt I can look it up.)   





 Best in Show


My Viewer's Choice.   I cannot figure out how she set the blocks! 

This was fun, too!  Be sure to read the artist's statement.

I posed with my quilt!  



There were several special exhibits.



Seed Savers' Exchange -- guild challenge.








My Magpie friend Anna joined Irene and me at lunchtime.   One of the menu options is a chicken salad sandwich on cranberry-wild rice bread. The bread comes from Minneapolis but I found out that a Kwik Trip gas station/store just over the state line stocks it.  I'm going to check!


Karen and I met in the Stashbusters group 20+ years ago.  She coordinated the Block Swappers (a SB spin off) for many years.  She's very active with Wisconsin QOV.  

There was a QOV presentation to three veterans.  (Karen is on the left, reading the biographies.)  





After lunch it was time to shop! 

  I exercised great restraint and got fabric I needed for an upcoming project and some to restock (bright purples);.  Just 15 yards.



I bought two t-shirts.  I have undergrown many of the t-shirts I've worn for so long -- these two are *medium*! -- so I have thinned (pun intended?) my wardrobe.


This WAS a splurge.  

Let's see if I can follow the instructions and improve my FMQ.

# # # # #

The bus pulled up at 4 p.m. and we were on the road.  There was a brief stop for dinner in Janesville (there's a Hy-Vee supermarket that has a food court) and we were back at the Kenosha County center at 7:00.   I was home at 7:27. 

It was a great day!

P.S.  The caregiver was here from noon-5 so Stevens wasn't alone all day.   



7 comments:

  1. OH Nann! So much fun looking at these photos. I love LOVE 45 RPM (talk about good memories). It was wonderful to look at the quilts and also what you bought. Can't wait to see those projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! Linda Roy was at our guild a few months ago; her design process is quite original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black/white/pink quilt is called Montana Cartwheel - there's a blog with some info on it here: https://bestfriendsquilting.blogspot.com/2007/08/montana-cartwheel.html Also, Wanda had this pattern and I think she made some blocks from it (perhaps a flannel quilt top?) so she might be able to clue you in on how it was assembled (beyond the paper pieced points).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That message was from me - Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at the quilt show on Thursday. I came on a bus from Indiana on Wednesday (I am from Ohio), we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Janesville Wednesday and Thursday nights. I had saw your post awhile back and was looking for your quilt. It is so nice for you to have a quilt accepted into this show. They had a good variety of different kinds of quilts. I got everything on my list and just a few other things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super great Variety of Quilts!!! They are fun to look at! Love your 45!! Its perfect!
    and nice new shirts!! very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also attended the show on Thursday! And I was so excited to see your quilt hanging in the displays. Hooray for you! I agree with your choice award and had the very same concern. I love to attend and will take in a couple of lectures. I always love the food there and get one of their soups and a dessert. Such a great show!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.