Friday, September 1, 2023

Friday check in: lunacy, forest preserves, stash report, and something new

 Wednesday evening I was among the "lunatics" at the beach who watched the supermoon/blue moon rise over Lake Michigan.  The moon popped at the horizon the way the sun does, but white rather than yellow.  7:42 p.m. on the dot.

With the brisk northeast breeze I was glad I brought my windbreaker.



We went to Ryerson Conservation Area on Wednesday and Marl Flat on Thursday for Hike Lake County.  If you've been counting -- I certainly have! -- these are #10 and #11.  

Bull thistle, cutleaf coneflower (also called green-headed coneflower), ironweed, scarlet lobelia.

# # # # #



My quilting month was quite productive with three starts-and-finishes and 160 happy blocks.  

The stash report:

Fabric IN, August: 57 yards, $275.00, average $4,82 per yard.

Fabric OUT, August: 98-1/4 yards

Fabric IN, YTD: 561-1/2 yards, $1304.00, average $2.32 per yard.

Fabric OUT, YTD: 823-3/8 yards.

Net:  261-7/8 OUT.   Hooray!

# # # # #

Here's the something new.   

When I made Out of the Box, a log cabin variation with 1" strips, I learned that 1" strips aren't that hard to work with.  It's just with pieces that small it takes a lot of sewing to get to anything sizeable.  I added 1" strips to my scrap-saving. At odd moments I'd sew a bunch of strips into bands that I trimmed to 5" (seemed like a decent width).  I'd put them up on the design wall and arrange and rearrange them.  


Nothing sparked until this week.  Here's the result!

I used all of one orange and all of another.   The blocks are 8.5" unfinished.   The 1" strip box is nearly empty.  I am going to TRY to put these blocks away and let the 1" strips accumulate over time and make more strip sets gradually, rather than cut up wider strips or yardage.  

The Friday linkup lineup: 

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?  Finished or Not Friday Peackock Party


9 comments:

  1. !" strips! You are inspirational or crazy, I can't make up my mind, but I love the look.
    I always enjoy your blog - something for all interests. I don't hike (but I should) but I'm enjoying the wildflowers you have been featuring. Thank you for putting on the names, as well. I've seen them all my life, and only know the names of a few. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply cannot wrap my head around working with 1" strips! Beautiful result though so I guess the end justifies it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went out to view that "once in a ..." Blue Moon, too...I tried to get a snapshot, but
    it came out smudgey...that's ok still put it in my Junquie Journal...
    Beautiful finishes and qips for August...I am in a snail's shell this month--s l o w l y she sewed...hahah
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a lot of batik 1" strips that I sewed together and was going to make 4 mug rugs with them. That was 5 years ago. I still haven't made anything. Now I'm thinking zipper pouch or note book cover.
    You really did have a productive month. Neither of us can say it was becaose we had so many rainy days though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watched the moon rise here in the city too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you sure you don't have a box marked "bits too small to keep"? It does feel good when you can make something with no effort because all the effort happened so long ago that you've forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. strips are gorgeous! love love love those border sections....

    ReplyDelete
  8. We made a point of standing outside in our yard to watch the Blue moon rise - coming up from behind the trees it was magnificent! Love how you used those 1" strings - great quilt in the making. Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.