Friday, June 30, 2023

Friday check in: goals in June and the stash report


It's been hazy because of the smoke from the Canadian wild fires, but we haven't had any adverse reactions to the air quality.   We do enjoy our afternoon outings.

Here is a wildflower you don't expect to see in northern Illinois.  Prickly pear cactus grows at Illinois Beach State Park.  Each flower petal is tipped with a spine.



Wood lilies are also in bloom at IBSP.   (Both photos taken yesterday.)


I didn't post to the One Monthly Goal link up at the beginning of June but I did have goals in mind and I achieved them.

Starting with the second goal, finished this morning.: here is Horizon, the quilt begun in the April guild workshop with Lynn Dykstra

 The blocks are 4.5 x 9 finished. 








The back features a whimsical radish print (estate sale purchase) and a watermelon print (1991 on the selvedge, another thrift acquisition). 






The first goal was finishing the Christmas bow ties quilt.  more about that here 

I don't plan to buy any fabric today nor do I anticipate finishing anything so it's time for the June stash report.

Fabric OUT:  324-3/8 yards!  That includes 200 given away at the guild raffle mania and 50+ send to quilting friends.

Fabric IN:  150 yards, $156.00, avg. $1.04/yard.  110 yards from raffle mania and the wonderful African fabrics from Ellie's estate.

Year to date fabric OUT: 674-1/2 yards

Year to date fabric IN:  481-1/2 yards, $996, avg. $2.07/yard.

Net reduction; 193 yards!

Linking up with Peacock Party OMG at Elm Street Quilts  Finished or Not Friday 

12 comments:

  1. Such lovely flowers. I didn't realize the prickly pear petals have spines too. Fascinating! It's probably good that I am not doing stash reports lately, because I keep adding to that stash faster than I can sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen prickly pear or wood lilies in the wild. And I didn't know that tidbit about the spiny petals. Interesting!
    I really like how you do your backings with the four patches in between two fabrics. Neat look but I'm too lazy to do that. I made several of those Horizon quillts last year in kiddo sizes for donation. I wasn't lucky enough to attend a Lynn D workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the small bow ties whimsically scattered over the Christmas quilt. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. impressive loss and definitely brag worthy...lovely cactus blossom....we were on red alert for air quality but downgraded today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas Bow Ties really came out beautifully! And I do like your Horizon quilt a lot...
    nice works...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun flowers and fun flowers! Happy the poor air quality is not having any adverse effects for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore bowties, both looking at them and making them. I'm saving this in my Bowtie inspiration folder.

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Horizon is one I have on my To-Make List! And the smaller bowties sprinkled amid the larger ones is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on finishing up these TWO quilts! I'm not sure that I could choose a favorite, Nann. They both turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had to stay inside for several days due to the smoke/poor air quality. Then the strong storms moved in. It's been interesting. Your quilts are great. I love the radish print! And the fabric tally is mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must admit I'm astounded at the sheer amount of fabric you deal with! How on earth do you store it all?

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.