Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Midweek: trickier than it looks

 

Here's the variation on the blue-and-white pattern design I showed on Monday.

I cut all the pieces carefully.  I pieced all the pieces carefully.  All the units butted up nicely, BUT!  

One side was 1-1/2" wider at the bottom than at the top!   I folded the flimsy along the seamline in the middle, measured twice, and  trimmed up that errant side.  Though it's hard to see against the white design wall, the medium blue on the right edge has a shorter starting block than those below it.

It won't matter to the recipient (whoever that turns out to be).   If I try this again (multi-color scrappy? how about homespuns?) I will try to avoid the mysterious expansion!

Linking up with Wednesday Wait Loss and Midweek Makers 

11 comments:

  1. That design is so cool, Nann ! Isnt it frustrating when the ending is such a challenge to fit right?! We all know that route but when you get that far on a project, you have to work it out somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for blue and white quilts! Glad you figured out how to deal with that errant side. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking fine from here...further than the behind of a galloping horse....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear from my kid in Champaign/Urbana that it is snowing like mad - this blue and white quilt looks very "snow day" to me!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how that happens. An example of what's good on paper, but then there's reality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that’s one snazzzzzzzy quilt top! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a neat design! Strange how you were off by that much, but you're right - no one else will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt looks great! I really had to search hard to figure out where you trimmed it. You are right, no one else will know (if you don't tell them!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is hard to see the trim, the finished version looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks fabulous. It's always "interesting" when a top has creeping sides or up/down. Drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had a few mysterious expansions too!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.