Sunday, September 18, 2022

Weekly update: a meetup, variable stars, and scrap sorting

Lizzy accompanied her husband to a conference in Chicago last week. She had a free day Thursday and came up for a visit.   We met on the Usenet newsgroup Rec.Crafts.Textiles.Quilting in the late 1990's. It was such fun to meet her in person!   We enjoyed lunch, a tour of Zion, and a nice walk at Illinois Beach State Park.





The weather on Friday was ideal for the 22nd Annual Jack McElmurry Golf Outing -- our Rotary Club's big fundraiser.  

I bought $20 worth of tickets for the 50/25/25 raffle (50% to the club and with two winners at 25%) -- and I won $200!  (Just about what I spent on fabric at the Expo last week....)  I was the sole bidder on a coffee gift basket, too.   We were major sponsors of the event so we gave a lot more than we got, but it's a good cause.




# # # # # #
I have the first set of variable stars blocks sashed.   I tried assorted brights for the cornerstones but they competed with the variety of colors in the star blocks.  I fussy-cut elements from a red bandanna print.  Now I'm auditioning borders -- aiming for bright (and of course for using what's on hand).  










I have sorted ALL of Dorothy's scraps.   They were packed higgledy-piggledy into bags and boxes.  I pitched a lot, ironed a lot,  and sent some to a new home.  Here's what I'm keeping for now.

Upper left:  a miscellany of blocks, mostly miniatures.  Center:  60 yards (by weight) of a variety of prints.  Right:  20 yards (by weight) of batik pieces.  

There were many prints that I have had, or still have -- as though Dorothy's and my fabric shopping was in tandem.  I'll have fun as I further refine the sorting of this grand gift.  

Linking up with Oh Scrap!   Monday Making   Design Wall Monday   

9 comments:

  1. Your stars are lovely! Choosing a border is always hard for me. I always use what is on hand too and I just don't have those larger cuts anymore.. So my quilts are usually borderless now. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to meet people in person that you've known from the Internet? Love the star blocks. (Hum, I have some dies that make that block...should I start some?) And what a haul of fabric. Hopefully some of the fabric is big enough for backings... Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time you put into fussy cutting the handkerchief fabric was well worth it! It really adds a wonderful touch to your cornerstones! The top looks wonderful! What fun to get such neat scraps! That's a lot of fabric!!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always nice, and sometimes surprising, to put a face with the name. I love how fabric placement can make so much difference in a simple block pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to meet up with an online friend! The star quilt is wonderful, and I think making the cornerstones all the same color really does let the stars be the focus. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the stars look nice - like the sashing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meeting friend, winning money, sorting scraps, a wonderful variety of stars moving forward...what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rather like the left blue for the borders. The stars are riotous enough--that chaos doesn't need to be exacerbated by a busy border fabric, colorful or not! Not that you asked....

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.