Thursday, September 22, 2022

Friday check in: welcome autumn! vintage finds, OMG all set, and something new

 It's gotten so that if I don't take a good walk at least every other day I really feel it! This week we went to Sedge Meadow/Des Plaines River Trail and Illinois Beach / Camp Logan.  

Top: compass flower, snakeroot, false Solomon's Seal (b.erries). Center: goldenrod, fungi, riverbank grapes. Bottom: white heath aster and skyblue aster, New England aster, butterfly weed (can you see how the spent stems make a whorl?).

# # # # # 


Isn't this the coolest souvenir tablecloth ever??? I got it for $3 at a church rummage sale.  The midcentury graphics are terrific! 











It has some stains and I thought I might cut it up and use elements in a project. But I probably wouldn't.  So I mailed it off to a librarian friend who lives in New Jersey and collects vintage textiles.  

# # # # # 

The Magpies are collaborating to make quilts for the twin sons of our dear friend Sarah Curry.  Her favorite block was variable star and she liked bright colors.  I volunteered to make the flimsies. Here they are -- very similar but somewhat different, just like the twins.  


I've mailed them to Carolyn who will quilt them and make a collage with the signature squares to piece into the back.


Creating the flimsies is my September One Monthly Goal. Here's the link up.





# # # # # 

Here is the new project.  I've had a box of 1.5" batik HSTs for a long time. A while ago I made a bunch of very scrappy cake stand blocks (4.5" unfinished) and some variable star blocks. 

 

I'm not sure how I'll combine these, or if I'll combine them.  It's just fun to do some no-destination piecing.


Linking up with  Finished or Not Friday   (Busy weekend ahead!)  


P.S.  More vintage purchases from that rummage sale and another.  The Christmas candelabra tablecloth is the third one that I have. It must have been very popular.  (Did I need a third? For $3, how could I resist?)  The two dishtowels are linen.  


9 comments:

  1. I love the New Jersey table cloth. I'm glad your found it a good home. I have a vintage tablecloth but haven't figured out a project for it yet. Love the cakestand blocks, so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tablecloth! Those batik blocks are wonderful! I am loving your star quilt tops!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. first, great vintage finds....my grandmother had lots of tablecloths and wished i could have gotten at least one from her...yowza on the batik HSTs and the project thus far...they are so colorful, like broken bits of glass...i got back to fitness this week as well, amazing how the body really yearns for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of "no destination" sewing as well. There are always small collections of blocks hanging around. I like to try out new techniques or new patterns, but don't always have a plan. And that is just a part of "enjoying the process".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding sweet vintage tablecloths and towels is so fun. I've used them in the past to back quilted table toppers and runners. Still have a few choice pieces I'd like to combine into one quilt "someday." Sweet little batik blocks! I like the description of "no destination piecing" since it seems a lot of us have been heading down that road for the past year or so. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "No Destination Piecing" is a real thing? Hurray! I'm in!! Love those star blocks for the twins! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess most of my piecing is of the "no destination" variety! Those itty bitty HSTs are getting put to good use.
    I usually have a vintage tablecloth on my dining room table and vintage hand towels in the bathrooms. I do have a lot of vintage dishtowels that I don't use because hubby would just get them all greasy/grimy. I used to hang them on a vintage towel rack in the kitchen for decoration but then we remodeled the kitchen and no space for them so they have been in a box for 15 years. I was always going to maybe make a quilt or quilt back with them. And then there's that tea towel challenge UFO I still have never finished although I have lots of parts for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun table cloth - those graphics are really so cool!
    And your flimsies are so cute!! those will be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really is a very cool tablecloth. Some vintage things are just fun to have. Congrats on meeting your goal.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.