Sunday, September 4, 2022

Weekly update: garage sale bargains and a new project



Sunny on Saturday when revisited Van Patten Woods.  
Cloudy on Sunday at the lakefront.  A northeast wind kicked up the waves!    

Bumblebee on liatris (blazing star), New England aster, a big mushroom.

Riverbank grapes, hawthorn, bottle grass.

Monarch on butterfly weed, lobelia, gray dogwood. 

# # # # # #

 




The first Corningware I got was in the late 1970's, a Christmas gift. Back then it was new and pricey relative to my budget.  I have used the 10" casserole a lot!  The stains won't come out and the glass lid is very dishwasher-etched.  When I found the same size, same pattern, never-used for $5 at a garage sale I knew it was time to replace the veteran.   
The garage sale was one of several that Paula G. holds every year.  She frequently has fabric and vintage linens.   I got these kits (early 90's) for the fabric -- 10 yards.  

This was a kit from a long-closed shop (Cotton Pickers in Morton Grove).  The dusty blue and rose are so dated, aren't they? I was surprised to see Hoffman on the selvage. We associate Hoffman with bright prints and batiks.
# # # # # #
On the design wall:  a new batch of churn dashes.  I used all of the bold polka dot background, so much that I had to piece squares for some of the large HSTs and  long sashes.   I'm trying to make quilt that would appeal to a teen boy.  No flowers!
Linking up with Oh Scrap!      Design Wall Monday

10 comments:

  1. You got some nice older fabrics in those vest kits. Are they Kay Sorenson patterns?
    I was working at a quilt shop when Hoffman first got into quilt shops and they went with what was popular at the time but they also came out with their first floral fabrics back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that is an unusual print for hoffman....oooh loving those churn dash blocks! hoping to get to marden's and you have inspired me to search for dots! lovely wild flowers...and great thrift finds...i love corningware for my toaster oven but yes it does get icky after lots of use...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use corning ware a lot - and, like you, am always watching for gently used pieces as back up or replacement for mine. Elder son has claimed my "vintage" pieces when I'm done using them (grin). Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The churn dash blocks are awesome! I really love that background you chose. I have a couple of old corning ware pieces too, and use them. I'm actually surprised that there are few stains on them after 45+ years of use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, an old friend brought back to life! I wonder how brittle your original casserole got after decades of use? Is it ready to shatter unexpectedly?

    The pink and blue remind me of the first set of canisters (Treasure Craft) I bought for myself. I bought them, but never used them in the kitchen and had them boxed up for years. I finally unboxed them and put them to use in my sewing studio (mostly storing 4- and 9-patches in various stages), where I'm cheered every time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother had dusty rose sofa and wingback chair with that blue in drapes for her living room back in the day. But I think those colours in fabrics now are very pretty. I'm always on the look out for corning ware lids. Mine get used all the time. That seems like quite a good sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really scored on your vintage corning ware dish for $5.00! It is so interesting to look back on vintage fabrics and think about what we had then. I don't think I will ever buy another calico. :D Love your churn dashes with the polka dots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your churn dashes…it is one of my favorite blocks. Ah yes, Corningware ….I have that exact dish. I don’t use it as much as I used to but I use some that my son gave me (he didn’t want them). I squeezed them into my cupboards and used them more then I expected to. They are smaller with handles….but definitely not vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love those old 80s and 90s fabrics. They bring back so many happy memories. I took my first quilting class at Cotton Picker, I think maybe 1988 or 1989. The quilt was from Trudy Hughes first book I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good finds at the garage sale!!! Churn dash blocks are looking great, gender neutral.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.