Monday, August 22, 2022

Weekly update: homespun lemonade

(See the previous post for the explanation of "lemonade.")    
If only we could bottle the weather!  80 degrees, low humidity, breeze from the northeast, and abundant sunshine.   

Ethel's Woods/Raven Glen is (are) the fourth for our Hike Lake County 2022 challenge. 

(Ethel Untermeyer spearheaded the legislation to create the forest preserve district in the 1950's.)

Though we're out and about during the day we are at home in the evening -- sewing and TV time.   Here's what' I've accomplished. 

The monkey wrench project is a flimsy. The blocks are 5" finished so this is 65 x 75.  (Since I took this photo I replaced the square in row 2, column 1, with a lighter square.)   









I tried to use scraps for this project but I managed to generate more. Lots more.  When I tidied up I found two ziploc bags with 4-1/2" homespun squares. They became a flimsy which is, ta-da, now under the needle.  Hopefully I'll have a finished quilt to show you very soon. 

# # # # # #


Home renovations are ongoing. The living room replastering is still curing but at least we have chairs to sit in.  We're eating on a card table set up at one end of the living room.  The white paneled doors (upper right) are replacing the 1972 brown wood doors (lower right).  

Linking up with Monday Making Design Wall Monday




P.S. Though our visit to Sitka was short I did find the quilt shop.  These are FQs of Alaska-themed batiks.    



8 comments:

  1. Lovely batiks! I'm hoping that I'll get a chance to visit at least one Alaska quilt shop next June while on a cruise. I didn't do any shopping of any kind on our first Alaska cruise 20 years ago. The monkey wrench project is turning out beautifully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I just love how your Monkey Wrench turned out, Nann! Using all of those different fabrics for the alternate blocks is so much more exciting than a single "background fabric" would have been. I hope your renovations continue smoothly -- it will all be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just reading your previous post, and I'm so sorry about your trip to Alaska. You're very good at making lemonade out of those lemons, however! A beautiful quilt is emerging from your homespun and churn dashes. I bet you'll be very happy when those home renovations are done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...tooo funny....managed to find a quilt store in all the chaos....you are too much nann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a large quilt and a bonus quilt from your homespuns! Way to use it up! I am enjoying your home renovation updates. Although we’re done for this year, next year we’ve got several projects in mind. New interior doors (at least upstairs), new low-water use toilets, and possibly some xeriscaping. And in case that sounds like everything but the kitchen sink, we do need another kitchen sink, too! But we may do that sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was sorry to read your last post about the Alaska trip being cut short, but can understand completely. We rarely travel more than half an hour from home these days. But in the chaos of it all you managed to find a quilt shop with some gorgeous batiks. I love how your monkey wrench quilt top turned out, especially all the plaid and checks alternate blocks. A good warm homey feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, gosh. I was surprised to see a post from you. I thought you would be gone awhile. So sorry you didn't get to go on the trip you expected but how nice that you made "lemonade". And I like how your Monkey Wrench turned out. I'm not surprised you found more homespun. Our house needs lots of repairs but I think it would be cheaper to tear down and build a new one! Oh, those Alaska themed batiks are unusual. Wondering what you will make with those! I guess something fun, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you weren't able to complete your Alaska trip I enjoyed the times I visited. But at least you had some great "lemonade" experiences. And look at you getting blocks to flimsy stage and starting another one.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.