Friday, June 10, 2022

Friday check in: apologies, iris, and works in progress

I apologize that I haven't commented on your blog posts this week.  I use Bloglovin and it was down for several days.  It's back today, fortunately.  (Barbara recommended Feedly and I'm going to set that up. Better to have two blog feeds than none.)

The AAUW summer luncheon was Tuesday.   No program, just pleasant conversation.  We had was a silent auction to benefit our STEM scholarship. I contributed some of the patchwork potholders I made for Joy's Table Scraps and this quilt as well as a stack of books that I'd read or that I realized I will not get around to reading.  (I bought one book and two hand-painted silk scarves that would be great in art quilts.) 

From 55 and rainy Wednesday to 75 and sunny Thursday!   It was a great day for a walk in the park. 

There's a patch of hybrid iris (garden escapee??) along the road in the state park. I look for it every year.  Good news -- it's spread!  There's another clump about eight feet away from this one.


The wild iris (flags) are in bloom now, too.  Blue flags (iris versicolor) are native.  Yellow flags (iris pseudacorus) are invasive.  Both varieties like to have their rhizomes (roots) damp. The plant on the left was damp last year, or the year before. The sand is overwash from a storm.

Other wildflowers:  wild rose, coreopsis, golden Alexander, Philadelphia fleabane, lupine, Canadian anemone, marsh pea. 

# # # # # # # #



In the studio:

I'm nearly finished quilting the Christmas churn dashes. The yellow tag stuck to my sewing machine says NEEDLE. It is a reminder that I have to  move the needle position to the left before I start FMQ to avoid breaking the needle.


I have a commission to make 22 mug rugs for next year's Georgia state P.E.O. convention. They're not due until next spring but I do not want to procrastinate. 






The next batch of churn dashes will be scrappy batiks.  I'm cutting 4" strips from yardage. When I have a bunch I'll pair up lights and darks. 

Linking up with Finished Or Not Friday

P.S. On Wednesday I mentioned reading a book I didn't care for.  Now I'm immersed in a book that is absolutely terrific. Come back on Monday for the review!


6 comments:

  1. Oh I love that Christmas Churn Dash...such a great block in all colourways. Good luck with your mug rug commission. What a neat idea for a convention! Sensible to start early so you won't be stressed. Happy Stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful churn dash block in batiks..nice mug rugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are beautiful. Good job not putting off all the mug rugs. You'll be glad you worked on them now, later. ~~Kathy A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i may have a few of those sticky notes around too!! Good job and the churndashes
    and thanks for the feedle recommendation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project. Good for you for getting them going early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been 'so out of the loop', and am thoroughly enjoying catching up on your posts this morning. XO, Kaholly

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.