Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Midweek: playing with scraps

 

It was chilly and rainy outside on Tuesday but warm inside.   The Zion Woman's Club had its year-end luncheon at a restaurant. I wore a mask except to eat and smile for the camera.  Regina conducted the officer installation with a lovely "heart of the club" theme.  I'm now past president. My service continues, though, because Steffi and I are co-vice presidents. (In our club that's program and membership. I do enjoy program planning.) 








And I have the pin to prove it. 

I went to the library after the luncheon. They're hatching chicks in the youth services department this spring.   

The high school scholarship awards presentation was last evening. I wore two hats for Zion Woman's Club ($1000 scholarship) and Rotary (four awards -- $1,000; $2,000; and two $1,000 renewable (=$4,000 total).   The students knew in advance they were getting scholarships but they did not know how much and it was great to see their responses.    It was also great to chat with friends representing the community organizations who give the awards. 

# # # # # In the studio: 


The asterisks quilt is finished! I quilted overall swirls. 


Several years ago I cut many 1" strips for small log cabin blocks. I kept the leftovers in a box and used a few of them for the asterisks.  Rather than put them back in the box I sewed them all up.  I didn't have a plan, I just sewed pairs together and pairs of pairs.  The resulting blocks are 5" x 10-1/2" (to finish at 4-1/2" x 10:).  

I don't know what they'll become but it's nice to have an empty box.


It will take a long time to empty the Civil War repro scrap box.  

The 9-patches are 3.5" unf. and the 4ps are 2.5" unf.  I'm concentrating on blue + neutral.  No design in mind yet. 


Linking up with Midweek Makers
and Wednesday Wait Loss
 


P.S.  

Thanks to Karen who posted this on her blog. You can find out more at ITWNAD  








And more social commentary.  







8 comments:

  1. I love that "It was never a dress" meme! And the cartoon also. Such a strange time in our country right now. Thankfully, there are lots of small ways that we as quilters and community members can contribute to make others' lives better! Those scholarships are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nann, thanks for sharing the image. I'm a little embarrassed to say I did not think to look up it's origins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such scrappy loveliness! Congratulations on the Asterisk finish. It's wonderful! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice asterisk....anxious to see more of those cute little 9 patches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, Near PhiladelphiaMay 5, 2022 at 7:02 AM

    Love the asterisks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like the asterisk quilt! Where did you get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love "It Never Was A Dress", and your asterisk quilt as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I abosolutely love the asterisk quilt and the social commentary both. Thank you for speaking up on behalf of women... My commentary Hey America, it's okay to respect women...it's past time

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.