Sunday, February 27, 2022

Weekly update: another finish, OMG report, and reading

Early in the week we saw the new version of Death on the Nile.  It was the second in-a-theater movie we've seen since the pandemic began.  Now I want to re-watch the 2004/David Suchet version and the 1978 Peter Ustinov version to compare them.   We've watched (or re-watched) nearly all the Suchet Poirots on BritBox and enjoyed them so much.   





The 1978 film had Maggie Smith, Angela Lansbury, Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, David Niven, George Kennedy, Jack Warden, and Jane Birkin.   
Saturday evening we enjoyed the Lake County Symphony Orchestra performing Mozart and Tchaikovsky.  Illinois is lifting the mask mandate March 1 so hopefully our next concert selfie will show our smiles.  
# # # # #   

In the studio:  a final finish for February. I made flimsy last year.  The pattern is Growing Up Odd by Wedding Dress Blue. The blocks are made up of 1 - 49p, 1 - 21p, and 3 - 9p.  Though I made units for 20 (per the pattern) I made only 16 blocks in the flimsy because that's how much sashing fabric I had and because I didn't want to make a huge quilt. This is 72 x 72.   




I used a variety of tan prints on the back. 

# # # # #

It's time to recap OMG for February. I said I would assemble Rhododendron Trail and get started on the birdhouse quilt.  I accomplished the former.  I've got a pattern and a fabric pull for the latter. It will definitely be my March OMG.  
For OMG reporting purposes, here is Rhododendron Trail again. 

# # # # # 













Ann, who blogs at Fret Not Yourself ,
recommended The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce. I borrowed it from the library and finished it this week.  Thank you, Ann!

The aptly-named Unity Street in a grimy industrial town is the home for a group of charming misfits. Frank owns a record store (VINYL! say no to CDs!). He can prescribe music to meet every mood and assuage every anxiety. Father Frank sells religious items, the Williams Brothers are undertakers, Maud is a tattoo artist. There are neighbors and regular customers. When the mysterious German woman Ilse shows up at the record shop the fabric of the community is ripped a little. It is torn apart by change -- a developer who proposes to bulldoze the entire block, the continuing threat of those dreadful CDs -- but in the end that fabric is recut, refashioned, and hope remains.

Linking up with OMG / Elm Street Quilts  Oh Scrap!    Monday Making  

10 comments:

  1. Agathe Christy seems to be timeless. I think I've seen the first movie version, but not the second. Congrats on all the progress this month. Your Rhododendron quilt turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing Bonnie's mystery. I can't imagine anyone better than Suchet in the Poirot role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the finish ! I love the Growing up odd. It is right up my alley for using up multicolors of squares! Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a Suchet fan, but Peter Ustinov! Loved that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love growing up odd...how gorgeous is that scrappy! i have britbox as well and do like poirot and seen them all too...our mask mandate got lifted a couple of weeks ago...i'm reading the man who died twice, the 2nd thursday murder club installment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im working on a Growing Up Odd quilt now. I sort of decided ,just today, that 9 blocks wasn't quilt big enough. Is the bed you show it on a queen or full size? Thanks for your help. I really like the red sashing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations of finishing up your Growing Up Odd quilt, Nann! The pieced backing reminds me of the back of my Crumb quilt. That one used random low-volume yardage, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your quilts!!!
    I will check that book out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your growing up odd with the red sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful scrappy quilt. Love all the red sashing. Your Bonnie quilt looks wonderful too. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie all the way through! I read a lot of Agatha Christie when I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.