Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Midweek: stash report, RSC, OMG, and a new project

 Welcome to February!  I remembered to say "Rabbit, rabbit" when I woke up yesterday.    Since the Zion Woman's Club meeting is the first Tuesday I was busy getting ready for that meeting with no time to write a blog post.

(Here is an explanation of the good-luck charm.)

The January Stash Report:  Fabric IN  52-3/4, $127, average $2.40/yard.  (I received a generous destashing gift.) 

Fabric OUT: 53-3/4    I'm ahead by one yard.

 

The "fabric out" count includes 20 teal/aqua spinner blocks for the February Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

There are two parts to my One Monthly Goal for February:  

(1) Assemble Rhododendron Trail so that I can add all that scrappiness to the "fabric used" tally.  I also want to sort the scraps and put away the unused FQs and yardage.   I am not turning-cartwheels-wild about this design.  Barbara came up with an alternate setting -- actually, two alternates -- which you can see in this post .   That has me thinking....

(2) Begin the birdhouse quilt. This will be the backdrop for the Home Fund exhibit the 2022 P.E.O. state convention. The president's theme is "sisters gathering in love" with stylized birds.  Birds + Home Fund = birdhouses.

# # # # # # #



6-1/2" (unf)  pinwheels were my 2019 Rainbow Scrap Challenge Block -- one for each day of the month, so approx. 300 over 10 months.  I've used many of them but there are a lot remaining in the box.


Lynn Roddy Brown used broken dishes blocks in her quilt. I think the design will work equally well with pinwheels.  


My design wall rough draft does not include the top row.  I'll  fuss with the color distribution some more.   The pinwheels have a variety of grays so I want border fabrics with a cool undertone.  I harken back to Kaffe Fassett's advice from the workshop last month:  "Take away what distracts. Keep what's juicy and exciting. It's the lime in the g & t."  I'll dig deeper in the stash.


Linking up with Elm Street Quilts for OMG and Midweek Makers


4 comments:

  1. oooh am loving those teal blocks...and scrappy pinwheels make me zing! are you going with 3 different borders or just auditioning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your teal spinners are sure pretty! You can't go wrong with pinwheels either. I'm tracking my fabric again too, but must admit that I bought a lot more than I used in January. I purchased background and/or sashing fabrics for a couple of new projects. But I'm at least being more mindful about making practical purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stash management so far this year. I really like your Pinwheel quilt. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are busy with your scraps. Good job collecting these ideas and moving them along. I like the way you’ve used pinwheels as “posts” on the medallion borders.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.