Sunday, January 16, 2022

The lime in the g & t: Kaffe webinar + TECHNIQUE

When Quiltfolk announced a webinar with Kaffe Fassett I signed up right away.  That was months ago.   Finally the weekend arrived.  The class was held for three hours Friday and three hours Saturday.

The event was called Kaffe Fassett’s Laboratory of Color: A Virtual Workshop With Jenni Smith.  The blurb:  "Host Jenni Smith will take attendees on a tour of the colorful, surprising, and rarely seen home and studio of world-renowned artist and textile designer Kaffe Fassett. Then, back at Jenni’s studio in Yorkshire, she’ll teach you how to make her unique Ribbon quilt, which was designed during her visit with Kaffe and celebrates a few of his favorite things —- the Tumbling block, stripes, and flowers."  

It was all in webinar format so attendees (600+) only "saw" one another through the comments.  It was nice to see Sue from Stashbusters, and Ginny who's a librarian, quilter, and P.E.O. friend.

The book cover
There were videos shot when Jenni visited Kaffe and Brandon (Mabley) in their London home.  (The book "Kaffe Fassett In the Studio" expands on that  home tour.) 

Jenni with Kaffe and Brandon in their yellow kitchen

 I couldn't write fast enough to capture all of Kaffe's comments but here are a few:

* About quilt backs -- "I like the party to keep going on the back of the quilt."
* About antique quilts -- "The excitement is the creativity and the panache." 
* When asked "How can you sell your work?" he responds, "Damn yes! I want my things out in the world."
*  On designing:  "Making that daring choice in the patchwork could be the thing that brings it to life."
                  -- "Take away what distracts. Keep what's juicy and exciting.  It's the lime in the G&T.
                  -- " It needs a structure. Not so tasteful that it falls asleep."

The class project is where the TECHNIQUE comes in.  (Technique is my word of the year for 2022.)  The ribbon quilt that Jenni Smith designed features tumbling blocks.  Her version used 60-degree diamonds and equilateral triangles. The patches were sewn in rows (=ribbons) so there were no inset seams.  I have had a 60-degree diamond ruler in a drawer for years and years. I used it for the first time this weekend.  

You can see the class sample in this photo from the class overview  


This is the project Jenni adapted. It's featured in the studio book.



My version is Kaffeine-free -- no Kaffe fabrics at all.  Instead I used an Australian print as the focus fabric and other prints from my stash as the supporting cast.  I had a FQ of a lively stylized floral that provided just enough for the appliques.

I'm quilting it now.  The back is another Aussie print (thinking back to Kaffe's comment to keep the party going).  


I have no idea what I will do with it once finished -- it doesn't go with anything -- but Kaffe would be quick to say not to worry about the destination. It will finds its purpose.

I'm so glad I splurged on this workshop!

Linking up with Oh Scrap!

11 comments:

  1. When you said "no inset seems" (sic) I suspected your purple diamonds had to be pieced to accomplish that. One click confirmed it! Very pretty and lively.

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you so enjoyed your workshop! I, too, am a firm believer in having the party extend to BOTH sides of a quilt. Have you listened to the You Tube recordings of Free Spirit's zoom calls with Kaffe and Brandon from last year - he is a hoot to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt. Not to worry about where it will go. This quilt will be waiting in the wings and be ready when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful workshop! Kaffe is so inspiring, especially his use of color. I would love to see inside Kaffe's studio; guess I need to get the book. Your little quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That sound like a great workshop! A quilt with no purpose but the fun of making it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous experience! I agree with all those statements you saved. I'm certified on 60-degree so any time you need help ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun!!! I like all those quotes that you captured!!! The Lime in the G&T - sounds like a great quilt name ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun project! Sounds like the class was very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does sound like an exciting workshop, so inspiring! Love some of Kaffes comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear you enjoyed your workshop--sounds like it was really great!!
    Your piece is coming together really well--nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great when the workshop you've really wanted to take finally arrives. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.