Sunday, September 5, 2021

Weekly update: wildflowers, monarchs, baskets, RSC, and reading

 Not-too-hot and not-too-humid meant comfortable forest preserve walks this week.  We stayed close to home (Spring Bluff), twelve miles (Raven Glen West), and 35 miles (Heron Creek).  Just south of Heron Creek is Reed-Turner Woodland Preserve owned by the Long Grove Park District.  A nice bonus!  


Right: a monarch and a bee with compass plant. 



Sawtooth sunflower, tall boneset, goldenrod. Jewelweed, false aster, Drummond's aster. Panicled aster, grass-leaf goldenrod, purplestem aster.  


# # # # # # #






The guild met in person on Wednesday evening. There were eight entries in the challenge.   Voting was easy: choose your favorite.  I didn't win but I'm glad I persevered and completed my Roses and Pearls.  

 The top vote-getter was Karen's daisy (middle right).  

# # # # # # #









In the studio:  I have 12 out of 24 8-1/2" baskets for the holiday quilt  There will be alternate blocks in scrappy red.  The background is off-white with red dots.   




I made 16 framed four-patches and two potholders for the September Rainbow Scrap Challenge and the Table Scraps Challenge. 

# # # # # # 








I read two more psychological suspense novels by Peter Swanson.  (I've reported on two others previously.)  Before She Knew Him was good -- the murderer is revealed early but the unreliable narrator has to prove that he did it.   Every Vow You Break, the latest (2021) was a dud. It seems to have been written in a hurry. Implausible scenes and even the protagonist (a damsel very much in distress) was not very appealing.  




The Yellow Wife
was published earlier this year and got positive reviews.  It's based on the true story of a mulatto woman who was the "yellow wife" of a notorious slave dealer in Richmond, Virginia.  He was truly awful and she was truly courageous.  Unfortunately the editing was sloppy with numerous anachronisms -- calling the children "kids," a friend addressed as "Ms.," playing with water balloons, sitting at a bistro table -- in the 1850's?  


Linking up with So Scrappy for Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Oh Scrap,   Monday Making   Design Wall Monday 


P.S.  Bumble bee on a teasel blossom.


There were five plaques like this at the Reed-Turner Woodland. They designate Eagle Scout projects to mark trails, extend or repair boardwalks, etc.  Great idea! 

10 comments:

  1. Your photo near the end of the post, of the bee - amazing detail. Well done! The challenge quilt projects are all so interesting. I have a challenge project to make for our October guild quilt show. I have the idea sketched out, but just need to dive in and make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your orange blocks. So fun and that challenge looks like fun too. L I love your roses and pearls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking me along on your walks with all the flowers! Your framed 4 patch blocks turned out fun! It will make a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much pretty yellow and white on your trail visits.
    I haven't read a new book in ages.
    Love all the piecing work you've got done. Very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same about The Yellow Wife. So many implausibilities! I finally had to put it down unfinished. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so hard to keep up with! I finally looked up the new color on Saturday ... but haven't done all that much about it. I do have a mental plan for my table runner though. Your baskets are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am envious of your walks. It still very hot here. If I don’t get up at sunrise, it’s too hot to be out.
    Good to see pollinators like the bee and butterfly. I’m not ready to meet in person but enjoyed seeing your guild challenge results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. today's post brought by the color yellow! adorable little baskets...thanks for the book reviews...already read "before she knew him"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job on knocking those ORANGE potholders out so early in the month, Nann. Awesome entry for the September 2021 Table Scraps Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your nature walks. Thanks for sharing them with us. Beautiful 4-patch blocks and cute potholders. All the orange this month makes me ache for fall weather. Is it pumpkin spice time yet?

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.