Wednesday, September 1, 2021

A day downtown with Vincent, Vivian, and Elizabeth

 

Or, how I spent the last day of August.

I finally went to see Immersive Van Gogh in Chicago.  It's been there all summer and closes September 6.  (I could drive to Milwaukee to see it but I'd rather take the train downtown. UPDATE: the Chicago and Milwaukee shows are operated by different companies. This article provided details.)  IVG is a virtual reality art show.   The artwork swirls and morphs as a timeline of the artist's life.  

 I bought a flex-entry ticket which allowed me to get in earlier than the official time.  The show was about an hour. 




 It was a beautiful day -- not too hot -- and I walked the 2.5 miles from the train station to the venue.  I had never been to the place (I'd never heard of it). It was originally Germania Maennorchor, a German-American social club. The second-floor ballroom was ideal for the light show.   I inquired and was told that the production company has a five-year lease and plans another, similar installation. (Picasso, maybe?)




My 'premium' ticket included a returnable seat cushion (helpful!) and a poster (which I declined) and a photo (my phone, their staff, no charge).  

# # # # # #








After Vincent I walked across the street to the  Chicago History Museum to see Vivian --  Vivian Maier in Color , that is.  The posthumously famous photographer is best known for the thousands and thousands of black and white photographs. She also shot many color photos. A selection of those makes up this exhibit.  







The commentary said that the subjects often turned around and glared at Maier when they realized she was taking their pictures. 

# # # # # # #





Impromptu meet ups are among the best!  Elizabeth Townsend Gard, quiltmaker, copyright expert, and podcaster (Just Wanna Quilt) came to Chicago from New Orleans to take her child to college.  Hurricane Ida has extended her visit. (Fortunately she has a place to stay (not the dormitory) and she can teach remotely.)

We enjoyed lunch in the cafe at CHM.   



I walked the 2.5 miles back to the station and took a few flower photos along the way.  (No people -- I'll leave that to Vivian Maier. What would she have done had digital photography been invented during her lifetime?) 

I caught the 3:30 train and was home at 5:00.  







P.S.  To add to an already terrific day -- the mail brought my new passport.  

(His was due to expire in November and mine in March. I heard about the tremendous processing backlog and decided to begin the renewals early. We paid extra for expedited service. His arrived today (Wednesday).)

It's good until August 2031 and, oh, boy, do I hope I can put it to use.



1 comment:

  1. Never heard of an "immersive" exhibit. Interesting, if nothing else ...

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.