Sunday, May 2, 2021

Weekly update: wildflowers, RSC red and reading

egret at Sedge Meadow Savanna
 The downside to the sunny days we've enjoyed is that there has been NO rain. Everything is green because it's springtime, but we are edging toward drought.  On Monday the tree guys took down a Colorado blue spruce in the back yard that looked sick last year and looked sicker this year.  The landscaper said the condition was needle cast and explained that Colorado spruces are planted here because they grow fast. After a certain point (35 years?) they fail to thrive in the heavy clay soil.  Removing the tree left a sunny corner so I had them plant lilacs.

 Though I didn't photograph the back yard events of course I took snapshots on our forest preserve walks this week.  









White and purple trillium; mayapple; cinquefoil?; wild blue phlox?.




 




Busy beavers at Sedge Meadow.










# # # # # # # 

In the studio:     

Here are 16 framed four-patch blocks in red, May's color for the Rainbow Scraps Challenge.  They are 5.5" unfinished.  I'm kind of, sort of thinking about making four blocks of four out of each monthly color.  






I also made two red potholders for Joy's Table Scraps Challenge.

BUT I have yet to decide what my May One Monthly Goal will be!  Maybe I'll have that figured out for the Wednesday link up.

# # # # # # # #


The premise of The Black Swan of Paris was interesting enough.  1944, Paris:  Genevieve Dumont is a celebrated cabaret singer, but that's her cover.  She's also a spy for the French Resistance.  She learns troop movements and other information from the Wehrmacht officers in the audience at her shows. Her manager Max is an undercover Franco-British  officer who relays the messages to the Allies.  Genevieve has more secrets -- her parents and her sister, from whom she is estranged, are also in the Resistance but working in different cells.  It's fairly complicated but their paths converge in the run up to Operation Overlord  (D-Day).   The book was well-reviewed but I found the author's many run-on sentences and over-use of commas to be intrusive.  There were a couple of bloopers that the editor ought to have caught. (One example:  the meat ration was "6-1/2 ounces."  France has used metric measurements since the early 1800's!) 

Linking up with Oh Scrap!  RSC So Scrappy  Monday Making    Design Wall Monday

P.S.  I paid twenty-five cents for this nearly complete Spirograph at the church rummage sale. Did you have one when you were a kid?  It will take some practice to get hypotrichoids and epitrochoids that look like those in the pamphlet.  (Bet you didn't know that's what the designs are called.  Here is where I learned that. Thank you, Wikipedia!)


10 comments:

  1. You saw lots of beaver evidence on our walk! That's so neat! I really like your framed 4 patches, especially with their alternating dark and light layout. WWII historical fiction is a favorite genre of mine - that sounds like a good one, although frustrating about the errors you found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the framed four patch blocks. I had a Spirograph when I was growing up. I have to admit, I wasn't good at creating the more complex patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your Frame 4-Patches in RED. (Even though it's not my favorite color.) Seriously, Nann! You've already finished your May TABLE SCRAPS Challenge?!?! I pulled RED scraps for my challenge entry today, but that's as far as I got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both our trees in the backyard died in the last two years. We need to plant something soon. I wish lilacs grew here but it's much too warm.
    We had a heavy storm this weekend that perked up the rest of the garden.
    It's always interesting to see how everyone interprets their rainbow scraps. I think about joining but still have many projects of my own to finish and I'm slowing down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun to see beavers unless they are destroying your trees! I really like your red framed boxes. You have a great selection of reds to use based on the ones you've shown. Have fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved my Spirograph and spent hours creating designs. I say a quarter well spent :)

    Love your red blocks. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are losing hemlocks around here due to disease. So sad when a tree dies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I remember the spirograph. The smaller the inner template, the larger was the design created. 5.5" is a small block. You will have to make so many for a quilt. On the upside you are already way ahead in the race :-) You are so knowledgeable about the flora. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been very busy and love your red blocks. Oh what a fabulous find with the spirograph. I loved mine as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your pictures! I’ll bet you were sorry to lose your spruce tree, but replacing it with lilacs was genius!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.