Sunday, February 14, 2021

Weekly update: red envelopes, yellow blocks, pinwheels!, and reading


My lucky envelope had $2
Kathy, Regina, and me
 The Zion Woman's Club had a Lunar New Year dinner fundraiser on Friday.  We sold tickets in advance for pickup at a local Thai/American restaurant.  We had a Wall of  Fortune with red envelopes numbered from 1 to 85 -- pay a dollar amount equivalent to the number to win cash prizes -- at least a $2 bill but there were some $10s and $20s and one with $100.  Regina and I thought we'd be out in the parking lot selling red envelopes but, hooray!, restaurants have reopened (25% capacity) so we were inside in the restaurant's party room.  Good thing, since it's been very, very cold.   

The meal (marinated chicken on a skewer, freshly-made fried rice, spring rolls, and a fortune cookie) was good -- my neighbor said they made two meals out of theirs and another friend said she was adding meat and veggies to the leftover rice.  The club treasurer's preliminary estimate is a profit over $2500.    The proceeds benefit A Safe Place (domestic violence shelter) and other agencies that ZWC regularly supports.  

# # # # # # # # # #

I  made 17 framed four patch blocks in yellow for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  (I was aiming for 16 and I miscounted.)    I made two potholders for Joy's Table Scraps challenge.  


I've had fun playing with the pinwheels I made for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2019. I followed up Trippy Pinwheels (last week) with this random strippy setting.    Doing the math:  360 pinwheels made.  50 used for Trippy Pinwheels and 37 here.   That leaves 263 pinwheels in the box. 
But not for long!  25 of the black/gray pinwheels have joined 216 3.5" nine patches for this as-yet-unnamed project.  The nine patches are from the Block Swappers' decade-long quarterly exchange. (There are several hundred still in the box.)  Since I took this photo on Saturday I've framed all the pinwheels and begun assembling the blocks.  I haven't figured out the border yet.      
                                    248 pinwheels to go!

Linking up with  So Scrappy   Oh Scrap   Monday Making      Design Wall Monday

# # # # # # # #


I so enjoyed Monica Wood's memoir When We Were the Kennedys (review here) that I looked up the other books she's written.  How did I miss The One-in-a-Million Boy when it was published in 2015?  Well, I'm glad I discovered it.                                                                                                 The boy is 11 and socially awkward--more comfortable with numbers, precision, and the Guinness Book of World Records than with people. His Boy Scout troop service project is to help the elderly with household chores. He is assigned to 104-year-old Ona Vitkus. Each week he records an oral history conversation with Ona. Together they plot to earn her a place in the Guinness record book. When the boy suddenly dies of an undiagnosed condition his father Quinn steps in to complete the chores. Quinn, a guitarist whose gigs provide sporadic work, is attempting to compensate for the years that he wasn't present in the boy's life. Quinn, like the boy, is pulled into Ona's orbit.

Redemption. Hope. Indomitability. Enchantment.
All these positive terms describe this utterly wonderful novel.
 

15 comments:

  1. Wow, Nann!! YELLOW blocks, potholders for the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, AND a(nother) completed RSC quilt top? Go, Nann, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pinwheel quilts - especially the one with the red background! Makes me wonder why I've never used red for a background. That sounds like a good book - I'll have to put Monica Wood on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those yellow potholders will be so happy in the kitchen. Great progress on March blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done a great job with your blocks. And, great getting a lot of pinwheels assigned to quilts. And a good start on them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love those frames four-patches and want to start doing those when/if I finish what’s on my plate for this short month of February. And seeing your cute potholders for the Table Scraps challenge makes me realize I had better get going on that. Your pinwheel quilts are awesome, and I know you’ll come up with a nice border for the latter one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great way to use those swap patches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice pinwheel project! thanks for the book review...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun quilt happenings at your place. I too am admiring the red background for those pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pinwheels with red top! I’m going to like the nine patches with pinwheels too! I’m a sucker for those tiny blocks! Nice idea for a fundraiser. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful support for your fundraiser--how great is that. Love your pinwheel projects. Sounds like plenty more ready to become quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my goodness! I did not realize that you made so many pinwheels! What fun that must be trying to decide different ways to use them. A red background is always terrific. I still have little nine patches left over from those years of swapping too and like to use them now and then but a few go a long way it seems.
    I need to make a few new potholders or at least recover the ones my husband seems to somehow burn up and really dirty up. Scrappy ones are always a good idea. Do you use Insulbrite inside the potholders?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a sucker for red so I love that quilt but the other pinwheel is beautiful, too. How fun that your groups can meet. Someday here...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am jealous that you got to spend fun time with friends :-) The description of that meal is making me hungry. Good thing that you miscounted up and not down. You are the queen of pinwheels :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on a successful fund raiser. That has to feel good considering how locked down everything still is. Both your pinwheel projects are really fun and your RSC blocks are all really sunny. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful fundraising idea! Especially creative during these covid days... well done!
    Love those double 9 patch blocks!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.