Sunday, December 6, 2020

Weekly update: a walk on the bluff, estate sale score, and more

 I remember going out to Sunday brunch in the 1960's at the Hotel Moraine on the Lake  in Highland Park. [Click on the highlighted link to learn about its glory years.]  Since we've been exploring parks and preserves in Lake County this fall I thought I'd try to find the site. It's a city park now.  The boardwalk to the beach is closed for repair so I could only go to the edge of the ravine. 

(The gold berries were on a tree. I don't know the species.)






Less than a mile to the north -- but just south of Fort Sheridan (whose forest preserve we hiked in October) -- we found the Openlands Lakeshore Preserve .  There's a paved walk, a tall bridge over the ravine, and definitely no beach access.  

I would love to take a boat ride to see the lakeshore from the lake -- to see the high spots (Evanston to Lake Bluff) and how the terrain flattens out from North Chicago to Waukegan up through Kenosha. It gets higher at Racine.  (I suppose a drone could do the same thing.) 

Upper left:  Queen Anne's Lace gone to seed.


# # # # # # # #

This weekend there was an estate sale in nearby Beach Park. The EstateSales.net listing showed fabric. I deliberately waited until the final day, today, with everything 50% off.   I just grabbed the tub with quilting cotton said I'd take it all.  I paid $40.  At home I weighed all of it (1 lb = 4 yds) -- 70 yards.  That's .57 (fifty-seven cents) per yard.  Nice stuff, too.  





I also got all 12 months of a BOM by Sue Garman, c2000, for $12.00.  (Original price $11 per month.) 

(Plus a box of Christmas cards, two fancy memo pads, and a package of Christmas printer paper.  There was a lot more stationery and office supplies but I really, really don't need any more file folders or label stock.)

# # # # # # # #




There is progress in the studio!  I finished Clue 2 of the Grassy Creek mystery -- 25 sets of hourglasses.  





I have five of the nine blocks needed for the Code Name Welcome Home quilt.  The piecing isn't hard but it requires precision.  Here is a peek.


# # # # # # # # 


This week's reading:  one of the characters in the wonderful novel Florence Adler Swims Forever,  which I read several weeks ago, was caught up in the 1920s Florida land boom.  When Bubble in the Sun was well-reviewed I was intrigued -- and now I know a LOT more about the early 20th century real estate wheeling and dealing that made modern Florida.  Knowlton doesn't write only about the land guys -- he also includes Marjory Stoneman Douglas who crusaded to preserve the Everglades.  It's quite a story and it's very well-written.


Linking up with Oh Scrap   Monday Making   Design Wall Monday


P.S. Sunset on Friday.  




11 comments:

  1. Good evening, enjoyed all of your photos-great looking quilt projects too
    Happy new week Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you get out of the house and walk. I was doing well walking the neighborhood every day or two until it started getting colder. We'll be back on a treadmill soon as we've bought one to use in lieu of trying to do an outdoors walk. I need to get back to more walking! Your beginning of Code Name Welcome Home... is that the name of a pattern or your personal code name? It is looking intriguing. I notice there isn't much chatter on the Quiltville IO group. It was fun to hear what folks were doing. Oh well, maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nann! I love your hiking photos! Such serene spots you visit! Love LOVE the fabric you got at that price! Your blocks are looking wonderful! Stay safe and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! You have inspired me to watch for estate sales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Code Name Welcome Home block, and the name too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great score at the estate sale. Wow! Bet you'll have lots of fun sorting through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful views from your walks this week! It's always good to see citizens having input into what to do with land and property like that - and deciding it should be a park. Looks like you found lots of good stuff at the estate sale! Code Name Welcome Home looks interesting, too. I have Florence Adler on my library hold list - still waiting to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice travelogue photos and nice fabric haul...i really must hit these sales with you nann!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You managed to find some great bargains. Good for you for keeping up with the mystery clues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cracking esate sale score there, well done you. I would be tempted to rehome the BOM on ebay and make the rest of my purchases free.

    I'm still not feeling the love for walking through miles of mud and I'm struggling to find drive and walk options.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photo shots. Wow great shopping at the estate sale. You scored.
    Thanks for the book suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.