Monday, November 9, 2020

Weekly update: more sunshine, OMG finished, and CW birds

 

Four forest preserves in four days -- because the weather has been absolutely stunning (70-degree temps, lots of sunshine).  

Raven Glen was a gem.  It's made up of a former campground around a glacial lake plus a former dairy farm.  In 1962 and 1963 I went to summer camp on land that is now Rollins Savanna. I've known that for years but this was the first time we've been to the preserve. (I wasn't able to walk far enough to get to where the campgrounds were. I'll need to do more research.)  We discovered Lyons Woods during the pandemic shutdown last spring, when Illinois Beach State Park (where I usually walk) was closed. Lyons Woods is just six miles from our house and we've been there a couple of times since. Independence Grove is a big complex with a lake, fishing pier, meeting facility, nature center -- and, today, several *hundred* people out picnicking, bicycling, roller-blading, strolling. I want to return when it's not so busy.



I did not poke the wasp nest to see if anyone was home.  The photo of the flower on the lower left looks as though it's been put through a filter, but that's just what it looked like.

# # # #  # # # # # 
Quilters talk about irons a lot.  I buy them at Wal-Mart and when one burns out I buy another. But this time I (a) made a note of the model and (b) bought THREE.  Now I am prepared.  









My One Monthly Goal for November was to make a set of placemats.  I used blocks remaining from this quilt.   











The CWRSRP (Civil War Repro Stash Reduction Project) continued this week.   
I posted the photo of the 80 Birds in the Air blocks
and how I thought I was going to set them. 








Here's what happened.  I ran out of bright gold so the outer sashing is a different, darker gold than the inner.  I consider that a tip o' the hat to the "make do" that a 19th century quilter might have done. 

73 x 88, 4-1/2 yards.

I'm working on a new block for the next CWRSRP project.  It's a bit trickier and so far I like the results.

# # # # # # # 

Just one book report.   Outsider is the 12th in the Katie Burkholder series by Linda Castillo.  It's a police procedural set in small-town Ohio Amish country.  A fast read, which was what I needed this week.      

Linking up with Monday Making            Design Wall Monday   Oh, Scrap!   






P.S.  He surveys the parking lots at each forest preserve while I hike.




16 comments:

  1. There is TOO much goodness in this post! Your hike is just beautiful and I would totally take advantage of that good weather!! And your placemats - Yummy!!! I would eat every meal there!! they are so pretty!

    and oh my gosh !! the CWRSRP - Oh my!! that is stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather is so odd here too. We reached 76 degrees in November. I enjoyed my walk around part of the neighborhood. I've been out walking everyday for a week or so instead of the 4xs a week I was planning on doing. Your CWRSRP is fabulous. And the two colors of gold look like it was planned. On to using more Civil War fabs. (I sent mine to someone who would appreciate them. I'm not a fan.) Enjoy a quilty week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your photos from your walks each week! Many beautiful sights! I really like your Birds in the Air setting, and love the addition of the darker gold border. It looks like it was meant to be! Thanks for the book recommendation - I enjoy that genre so will have to go check that series out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nann i believe we were separated at birth..i love love love how you did your birds blocks....perfect! really allows them to stand out and a very unique setting...and i just finished a linda castillo book myself and i totally agree....now i'm into a cork o'connor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you set your Birds in the Air blocks together to form pinwheels, and the two different gold fabrics work together beautifully!
    Your hiking reports are inspiring, and I always enjoy your book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such.overly hikes and what great weather fo it. The birds blocks look terrific! The two golds make it interesting and so much better than one! The Linda Costello series is fun. I’m reading the new Ruth Ware now, One by One . An homage to Agatha Christie’s Then There Were None.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m so impressed with your walking regularity. You must be in good shape! And the pictures are always lovely too! I love your Birds in the Air Civil War repro fabric quilt. You’re so productive - do you practically live in your sewing room (like me)? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on CWRSRP. I made Birds in Air years ago but yours is much, much more interesting. Using different sashing is stellar. Congrats.
    It's gotten cold here. I hope it lasts as I put the shorts away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I was reading about your Birds in the Air blocks, I whispered, “ Amazing”! And they truly are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your layout with the golds is wonderful. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With three irons, you are prepared indeed!
    Love your quilts, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knocked my iron off twice yesterday, so I should seriously consider getting a new one as back up. Typically they tend to burn up after such abuse (just too many cords on the floor). Fabulous setting for the CWRSRP quilt! The two different golds give the quilt a nice "shimmer" as you look across it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's best to enjoy the weather while you have it, chores will wait for a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Smart thinking on that iron and that Stash Reduction quilt top turned out beautifully, Nann!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I chuckled about your recent iron purchase. I've had many brands over the years and honestly, the Black and Decker is as good as any of those I've paid a lot more for. They all quit eventually, some more spectacularly than others!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I wouldn't have touched the wasp nest either. LOL.
    Love your placemats and the gold sashing on your quilt.
    As soon as I get my knee fixed I hope to walk more.

    Always enjoy your pictures

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.