Friday, October 16, 2020

Friday check in: simple design = visual impact

 
 Earlier this week I came across a pattern called "Sweet Caroline" in a stack of torn-from-magazines quilt patterns (Easy Quilts, Fall, 2011).  I thought I'd give it a try.   Here's the finished quilt!

[The binding is dark blue. The cream-colored design wall looks like another border, but it's not.]

The designer used 5" squares for 4.5" blocks. I used 4.5" squares (and 2.5" strips for the four-patches).  It's 55 x 61.

I intended to make the quilt with fabric from the  guild giveaway last month but I couldn't achieve the color balance and visual texture that I had in mind. The four-patches and one column use the giveaway fabric. The rest is from my stash.

This is much less scrappy than my usual style. In fact, it was sort of uncomfortable to limit the fabric choices!  I'm already considering the design using different fabrics of the same color in each column [e.g. ten different greens, ten different oranges] with black/white for the four patches.  


The back is made from two fabrics.  They really blend, don't they?  (The 15" purple piece on the right is separate from the large blue/purple stripe.) 

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday   

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?




11 comments:

  1. it's an ok but definitely not your usual wow style...someone will love it no doubt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree scrappy will be more fun and interesting although this I nice. Just not your usual “Wow”!the purple is perfect for the stripe. It looks like another stripe! Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is a fun one!!!
    had me scratching my head for a moment and then I realized it was simply set on point!
    Scrappy would be fun....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I clipped that same pattern some years ago. I agree, it would be more interesting with variety of prints, but probably easier to not drag out all your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how the squares float on top of the black and white 4 patches. This seems similar to Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Chain but not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finish, Nann! It will be interesting to see how the design works with scrappier fabric choices. Have you started that one, yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking such a simple piecing design and turning it on point is giving a great effect and I like your choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! Your color choices are perfect and lend to the simplicity of the design. Well done 💖

    ReplyDelete
  9. you knocked it out of the park though - looks like you can do a limited color selection - you did it quite amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing your Variations on a theme! This one is nice, the next will of course be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really very eye-catching. You're right simple is good.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.