Sunday, September 13, 2020

Weekly update: a finish and a start

 

 


The AAUW Waukegan Area Branch had the first meeting of the program year by Zoom on Saturday morning. I was in the comfort of my studio.  I turned off the video so I could sew while listening to Phil Passen's very interesting and entertaining March of the Women: folksongs celebrating the suffrage movement.  (More information  here.)

The sun shone Sunday afternoon when P.E.O. Chapter HV-MY had a social meeting -- outdoors, masked, and distanced (except for the photo).  We have been Zooming since March. This was the first time this many of us have been together in person since then.  It was lovely to catch up.




Catching up in the studio:   I moved Monkey Wrench Batik from flimsy to finished.  I made the quilt top in 2018.  



A while ago Lynn/Klein Meisje Quilts wrote about "serendipity snakes" (here) . I realized that the snakes are a 1.5" version of a jelly roll race. Lynn is always able to make ordinary blocks and piecing look so terrific.  I dug into the 1.5" strip hamper and pieced and pieced and pieced and pieced until I had about 85 yards.  I cut them into 72" lengths and them in 6's.  Here's the flimsy. I will finish basting it this evening.  


# # # # # # # 

I read two good books this week.  

The Stationery Shop is set partly in 1953 Tehran and partly in 2013 Boston.  It's a story of young love, a bad mistake, loss, and (finally!) reunion. There was a lot I didn't know about post WWII Iran (the era of Aga Khan, etc.).

Sara Seager is an astrophysicist, a MacArthur genius grant recipient, mom to two boys, and widowed at age 40.  She interweaves discovery of other worlds (her specialty is expolanets) and her own world (with a cohort of other young widows in their Boston suburb).  It's a lovely, hopeful memoir.  


Linking up with Oh Scrap!    Monday Making    Design Wall Monday


5 comments:

  1. I really like your Monkey Wrench top. Brilliant way to meld the two different backing fabrics. I’m not a big fan of pieced backing but I really like this one. I just don’t have that many big pieces of fabric hanging around. What a great way to use the 1.5” strips. Must make a note of it! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilt show today! Monkey Wrench, clever backing and nifty jelly roll! A happy way to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to get together with friends again. We're Zooming our guild meeting tonight and I can finally join with my tablet. I like your new jelly roll race quilt type quilt, sure used up a lot of little pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the quick finish for Monkey Wrench. Love your color and fabric choices. There are more Zoom meetings than I can get to. Who'd have thought? But they are fun and a great way to learn, visit, and stay safe. Thanks for the two book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After a long separation, it is really nice to physically meet people for a
    chat!

    Both of your quilts are just amazingly beautiful. A fun twist on string quilt that I will have to save for a later occasion.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.