Friday, September 11, 2020

Friday check in: "where the magic happens" studio tour

 I sold two quilts to VH, our wonderful housecleaner, and said I'd take payment in trade.  On Wednesday she and I spent five hours in my studio cleaning and dusting from the light fixtures to the baseboards. She straightened all the stacks of fabric on the shelves.  

I took photos that evening.  Two days later I haven't messed it up very much, but I predict that won't will last very long.  

(I bought the house because the finished basement family room was ideal for my studio. The previous owner had a model train setup under the track lighting -- just the place for my cutting table.  We have one television. My husband sits in the armchair and I sew while we watch PBS and (mostly) British mystery series. We are binge-watching Hetty Wainthropp now.)

A dresser scarf for a treadle sewing machine. 
DH in situ.  Quilting books and magazines on the shelves against the far wall.
The Library Bureau catalog cabinet dates from the late 1920s. It holds thread and other notions. That's my Singer 301 ("Sweetness") in the yellow case at the left.  I bought the red table in 1977 ($10 at a moving sale). It has been our dining table, my office desk, and now the TV stand. 
The treadle machine is a 1909 Singer Red Eye. It works but I just use it as a side table. My machine (Janome 8200) is set in a Tracey's Table.
The plastic tubs hold flimsies and vintage fabric.  
The bulk of the stash, mostly by color.  
Batiks on the left.  Color-sorted FQs on the right. (I want to get a half-dozen of the wire basket units to replace the cheapo particle-board shelving.) 
The cabinets, counter, and sink were moved downstairs when the kitchen was remodeled in circa 1987. The storage space is handy.  The big bins at the back hold backings.
VH and I will tackle this room next month!

14 comments:

  1. That looks like a great sewing room! I love that your hubby has his own spot so you can sew and watch TV together! We do that, too, but it's a different room from my sewing room, so I end up doing a ton of hand sewing. I like the deal you made with your housecleaner, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great space and so well organized! I have been working on mine but it’s slow progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice space....always happy to see somebody with more fabric than me....lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you get so much done! I think you got the better deal in that transaction with VH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible, Nann!! I thought I had a lot of fabric. Apparently, I have next to NOTHING (compared to you!!!) Thanks for sharing your newly organized space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Amazing space 😁. It sure helps to have things straightened now and then even if it doesn’t stay that way 🍂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful to see your sewing room. I should have one in about a month 'fingers crossed' so I like some of your ideas. They will fit perfectly in my new space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the sewing room tour! You are so lucky to have so much space! I love that dresser scarf for the treadle sewing machine! Love the assortment of fabric you have! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun tour seeing where your magic happens! I love that library cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HE who decommissions the card catalog can buy it! We have 4 drawer units, 1 set of legs and one topper. (He tried to buy another topper from Gaylord, but he screwed up and bought the wrong one and then just gave up. I digress.) He has 3 drawer units holding various Lego parts - that part of our basement is all the littles' favorite - Uncle Ted's Legos are where it's at! The 4th unit, which has the legs and the topper, holds our TV in the living room. It's a conversation piece, and he kept cards in one to either relive memories with some or show others how the process worked before computers.

    When we moved here, the movers packed us. The sewing machines were not a new concept for them, but the card catalogs were a new one for them.

    Lovely room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, enjoyed the studio tour. The room is a nice big size. I especially like hubby's chair so you keep each other company. I use a spare bedroom as my office-sewing room combo. I store fabric in the closet but I don't have enough to fill it. Hmmm, maybe I need to go to the fabric store! Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so great - and so awesome that you had help - that makes me work longer haha! I have been watching the home edit - I like your version better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great space with so much great storage~
    You have it well organized.
    I envy you the library bureau!
    I am getting a 301 too as soon as I can pick it up in NJ.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.