Monday, June 1, 2020

Weekly update: May round up, June plans


There was a protest and some looting in Kenosha last night.  A not-funny-prank call threatened looting at Gurnee Mills, prompting a robo call from our local police warning residents to stay home Sunday evening. It was quiet here.   I hope it was quiet where you live, too.




Saturday at Illinois Beach:  One tree in the water (but still leafed out).  Another will topple soon. Still high water on the trail.






Sunday:  the nature trail in the ravine (a block from our house):
Rue anemone, May apple, Solomon's seal, skunk cabbage, trillium, golden Alexander, ranunculus (buttercup), aquilegia (columbine).





Our friend Lemmy turns four today!  He'd just gotten up from his nap when we brought his present  (books, per his mom's request) on Saturday afternoon.

 I got a hair cut on Saturday (results visible in the photo with Lemmy).   Stevens' barber opens today. We have mani (me) and pedi (both) appointments scheduled.  Someone asked about social distancing at a beauty salon. Everyone wore masks. When the stylist got to my ears she took the mask off one and cut, put the mask back on, and did the same for the other ear.  The one time I took my mask off was for her to see if the sides were even.


# # # # # # #
Stash report, May:
Fabric OUT:   46-3/4 yards
Fabric IN:  164 yards -- expense $0
I made 247 masks in May.  The total is 500.  I've said I'll take a break when I get to a good stopping place.  Since masks are de rigueur now I anticipate requests for replacements will continue.
The influx was a gift from a friend who destashed. I haven't *bought* fabric since February.

YTD fabric OUT: 472-1/2 yards
YTD fabric IN:  374-1/2, $455, $1.21/yard
Net reduction:  98 yards



Many years ago a librarian friend  had "blue roses" in her email signature.   I bought a piece of blue roses fabric with the intention of making a quilted something for her.  I did not get around to it back then, but the fabric resurfaced during the mask-making frenzy.   Her birthday is in early June so I made a mask and a shelter-in-place house for her.  (And of course I didn't use up all of the blue roses.)




The Shelter in Place houses are STILL on the design wall. I am sort of stuck.  I'll let them stay there in hopes that a brilliant flash will occur.   I began assembling the five-patch units that I made with scraps from the house blocks and from masks.

# # # # # #

A new month, a new One Monthly Goal.
I will assemble Shelter in Place.  Getting unstuck is a good thing.

Stay healthy, stay safe, and quilt on!
Monday link ups: One Monthly Goal
Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday

14 comments:

  1. No unrest in our city but we are next to LA County and there has been awful looting and burning amid the peaceful protesting, so horrible.

    That is a lot of masks! I think my count is probably around 60 now, I'm making the type with ear loops currently. Our daughter is a hairstylist and goes back to work this week, so I'm making her a couple to wear. Lots of restrictions for clients including no double-booking, so I figure it will be at least another four weeks until I get a turn.

    Love your scrappy houses and blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. officially envious about the haircut..my salon still isn't open even tho the gov said it's ok...my daughter lives near baltimore and ran into protesters going to her doc's office...but all quiet here in frederick i think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I need a haircut too, but haven't gotten brave enough to go out yet. Love your house quilt...it will be beautiful when done. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those scrappy blocks!

    What a nice thoughtful birthday gift for your friend.

    I haven't had a haircut in over 20 years (I do cut my own bangs once in awhile) and I've never had a mani or pedi. Guess I don't know what I'm missing!! I spend too much time in the garden so mani and pedi would be wasted I think.

    I'm impressed that you know the names of all the woodland plants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All quiet in the land of the retired! I enjoyed your wildflower tour. We had beautiful Mayapples and trilium at our last house. I may add some trilium to our shade garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our salons opened today, and I got my hair cut! Whew I feel 10 lbs. lighter, LOL. Good luck with finishing your Shelter in Place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our salons won't be open for at least another month and maybe longer. I am seriously thinking about letting my husband give me a buzz job with the clippers !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nann, my delight knows no bounds. It is quite something to feel such joy in these times. BlueRoses Consulting is retired, as I am, but I still love the image and the pattern. Thank you.
    We live on the very north edge of New York City in the Bronx, and we are being careful and safe, but also at times terrified and worried. About everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the blue rose "shelter at home" and matching face mask! A perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds as though you are keeping busy and are cautiously sticking your toes in the reopening waters! I enjoyed your nature pictures very much. And I love the thoughtfulness of the shelter in place mug rug and matching mask. Your friend will love it, too! Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Birthday books are the best!
    And I'm so impressed that you can identify all those plants in the park.
    As far as Shelter in Place, have you considered adding these fallen trees and/or some of these plants? Or blocks representing what you can do/did during this time? Whatever you decide will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You’ve been busy. I may have a hair appt next week...I need to call and see if they are open or not. I was in the process of letting my very short hair grow out some so this was pretty beneficial for that. Your houses look great. I’m impressed with your botanical knowledge. I’m pretty good plants we've had in our yard, a couple of trees and crab grass. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm hoping to finish my Quarantine Quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.