Wednesday, June 3, 2020

#thedailybrooch, part 5





The latest installment of the journey through my jewelry box.  I've gotten to the point that at bedtime I take out the pin for the next morning.




May 25   ....these sum it up pretty well!


May 26:  Monogram pins were popular when I was in high school. I got this for Christmas, 1967. The other fashion fad at the time was the off-white heavy wool fisherman’s sweater. I got one of those, too, but even if I still had it, today is way too hot to wear it even for this snapshot. 

There is a story about this shirt..... I got it, never-worn, for $3.99 at Salvation Army.The shirting fabric is lovely. The label is "Faconnable." (I can't do diacritical marks with my computer.) I was in San Francisco for ALA (2015) and happened to be wearing it when I saw a Faconnable shop. Of course I went in. Men's shirts for $225! The sales clerks (a woman and a man) asked if I needed help. I said no, I was curious, and showed the label of my shirt, and explained that I got it for $3.99. The man kind of sniffed but the woman grinned and gave me a thumbs-up.







May 27:  A sprig of holly from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. (I do not have brooches enough to take this series to Christmas.)






May 28:  This looks Scottish and I’m sure it was my mother’s. It is just 2” long. Stamped “silver” on the back but not sterling; no hallmark. The stone is very pale—amethyst? (but not very purple). It’s either surprisingly valuable or not at all. 

I searched “Scottish silver dagger pin” and got many hits. The pins come in many variations.   







May 29:   The last of the mosaics. I bought this at Pomeroy’s in Harrisburg, PA, in the spring of 1968 (end of sophomore year) when I went to visit one of my pen pals. Most likely we had gone to see the state capitol and then to the downtown department store. Back then I did not make the connection to P.E.O. daisies. This was a souvenir I could afford.





May 30: A metal leaf by a Bulgarian artist. From one of  Nancy Bolt’'s ALA conference sales featuring jewelry and accessories sourced from Bulgaria where she has traveled extensively.  

Nancy commented that the brooch was made by Mariana Mitova, an artist in Sofia, Bulgaria.






May 31:  A clay pig (Hampshire, to be precise).







June 1: Vermont Civil War uniform button, most likely from Stevens’ great-grandfather Edwin Elmore Woods. The back says Scoville Mfg., Waterbury. Stevens had it made into a pin 30+ years ago.











June 2:  California oranges in enamel on silver, about 1”. Aunt Carolyn sent this to me in the late 1970s along with jewelry that had been Grandmother Blaine’s. Carolyn said she got it when the family moved from Oak Park to San Marino in 1928. Carolyn was 5 and Dad was 10.















June 3:  The AAUW Legacy Circle pin is delightfully bling-y. The scroll says, “A legacy of equity.” I continue to be inspired by the passion and commitment of AAUW members of the past and the present.

The ALA and Alpha Gamma Delta planned giving pins are more subtle and much smaller.

I got the linen fabric for the shirt at a shop on Nantucket (Road Scholar, 2003). I made the shirt in 2004 and I wear it every summer.

5 comments:

  1. all very nice and so meaningful...lovely memories that don't take up lots of space...i imagine you at a very elderly age taking them out and revisiting all the special places....

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you interested in having more? give me your address!

    ReplyDelete
  3. QuiltGranma, you are a no-reply blogger so there is no way I can contact you.(But, no, I'm good with the brooches that I have.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are several things that strike me from this post. I haven't been paying much attention to previous posts about brooches, shame on me! First and foremost is I marvel that you know when, where and from/with whom you got the brooches. No way could I remember the few that I actually own. I have some nice ones but I never wear them as I don't like how they look on what I normally wear. It looks to me that you wear shirts in these pictures. I wear knit shirts, but not T shirts mostly. I wonder if that is the issue. Anyway, thanks for sharing these pieces of your past. The border you've chosen for Shelter in Place is great. The words on the back will be great. I agree with you regarding the word "in" being two close to "shelter." Can you cut it apart and add a bit of background? My guess is no or you would have done it already. It doesn't look top heavy to me though. I think I would put it in the back with or without correction. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.