Friday, June 19, 2020

The Daily Brooch, part 6

(Time got away from me! I'll catch up ten days' worth with this post.)

June 4
A winged book from ALA.
















 


June 5 
This was in the dress-up/costume box when my sister and I were little. We traded it between us a couple of times. I laid claim at age 9 or so and have had it since. In high school I wore it at the neckline of a blouse with a lacy jabot (late 60s Victorian revival). Another brooch that I will keep because I have had it nearly forever.













June 6
Daisy by Trifari or Monet (not marked, though), purchased at an antiques mall some years ago. If this year were going as planned I might well be wearing this daisy today because I would be at the Illinois P.E.O. convention. Instead I will be in a Zoom meeting of the committee I’m going to chair this year.

Note the detailing on the petals on the reverse. 











June 7
The newest is a flaming heart made out of felt. From Las Colchas, the quilt shop in downtown San Antonio that the Magpies visited when we went to QuiltCon. Hard to believe that was just three and a half months ago.












June 8
I always admired the brooch my mother referred to as "a Cairngorm." Hers was about 2-1/2" across and had a big brown/gold stone in an intricately-patterned sterling setting. She brought this Cairngorm back from one of their trips to Scotland. The setting is not as finely-worked as hers (rhodium-plated, I think). I confess that I didn't know what Cairngorm referred to -- Wikipedia explains that it "is a variety of smoky quartz found in the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland. It usually has a smoky yellow-brown colour." (I wonder who gave Mother's brooch to her. I think my sister has it now.)




June 9
Trillium in bone china. One of my mother’s, most likely from an estate sale. The trillium in our garden have finished blooming.   
















June 10
Another one from the archives: a late 1990's craft fair collage (the buttons, etc., are glued to a heart-shaped wooden base).













June 11
AAUW branch past president's pin in pewter. "Designed by Napa County (CA) Branch Past President Gladys Johnson, this pin has been available since 1970. Branches on the pin form the letters AAUW and the leaves symbolize each past president as vital to the life of the branch," says the Napa Branch website. I served as branch president for five terms (Lewiston/Auburn, Fargo, and three terms for Waukegan Area) and as state president (North Dakota) -- but received this particular pin just once, last year.









June 12
when I was on ALA Council several male councilors who liked to wear bow ties decided that Council II would be Bow Tie Day. One of the women sported a pin made out of bow tie pasta. I wore a 3” bow tie block that I made out of necktie silk fabric.

















June 13
Dogwood in bone china. Marked Royal Adderley. Mother called all the bone china trinkets Coalport, generically, but that was just one of the potteries that produced them.
But Coalport has its own museum. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.