Sunday, December 1, 2019

Weekly update: Frolic begins, two finishes, the stash report, and a new OMG

Edited to add this post to  Sarah's "Show Me Something" linkup here [Scroll down to see my triangle quilt.]

We had a very pleasant Thanksgiving dinner at our friends' house.  On the way home, about 6 p.m., we passed Wal-Mart and observed that the parking lot was full.   We stayed away from shopping malls and big box stores all weekend!

all the seams are spun open
No shopping gave me time for sewing.

The first clue for Frolic Frolic, the 2019 Quiltville mystery, was released early Friday morning.  I was ready!   [In deference to Bonnie's request, I am not stating the quantity or the size of the units.]



 Frolic is the 17th mystery.  I've made 13 of them. (It's easier to state the three I haven't made: Carolina Christmas, Christmas Lights, and Allietare.) 

 I went through the archive of Quiltville patterns. I "met" Bonnie on the Stashbusters group before she became a rock star. I have a notebook with printouts from her website -- the original Leaders and Enders post and her early designs (Starstruck, Scrappy Mountain Majesties, Pineapple Blossom,etc.). I've also saved the mystery quilt instructions. There's a binder with the Addicted to Scraps blocks from Quiltmaker (61 so far) and printouts of various projects she's blogged about.  I have all the books. 

I went from "it's a flimsy" on Wednesday to "it's a finish."   Once again I observed that a quilt with no deadline and no destination comes together with no fuss.

I pieced a rainbow strip into the binding on each side.

 The back is a nifty retro print that I got at a Joann's red tag sale. When I pulled it out my first thought was, "Oh, I can't cut this up!" My second thought was, "Go ahead and cut it! It's just right for this quilt." The second thought prevailed . . . and I have 2-1/2 yards left over.

From that easy finish to another one.  I knew just how I planned to quilt the black/bright HSTs that I pieced earlier in November -- with hanging diamonds. I used the walking foot to sew the vertical and diagonal lines.  I finished the quilting Saturday night (November) and the binding Sunday afternoon (December).

Hanging diamonds quilting










# # # # # # # # # #
Stash report, November:
Fabric in:  27-7/8, $128
Fabric out:  36-7//8

Year to date:
Fabric in:  528-1/2, $1541 (average $2.91/yd)
Fabric out: 488-1/2
Net gain:  40 yards
Maybe, if I sew a lot and buy very little, I can come out even for the year.

# # # # # # # # # # # #
My One Monthly Goal for December deals with the ALA Biblioquilters' projects for the auction at the 2020 Annual Conference.  (a) I will make four book blocks for a quilt that J.J. is coordinating. (b) I will write instructions for blocks for two quilts that I will coordinate.

Linking up with
 One Monthly Goal
Monday Making
 Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday

P.S.   Rabbit, rabbit -- holiday style!

11 comments:

  1. love the HST quilt nann! i too have a large collection of bonnie patterns from the early days...we had no idea then she would become her very own quilt corporation...LOL...but no surprise as her patterns and techniques were fantastic from the get-go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't even tempted to pull fabric for Frolic. The three BH mysteries you haven't done are about the only ones I wish I had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a champ! great job quilting two quilts this past week! I love the little colored strip you put next to your colored blocks. I'm so impressed with what you've gotten done. And, how great to start December with a finish -- now let's see if you can end it that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two delightful finishes. The rainbow makes a clever insert in the binding. Your HST quilt is a classic design and came out so well. Good color arrangement. Now that I’m tracking my own, I’m impressed with your yardage useage. You will easily finish the year net zero. I’m not tracking the incoming; only outgoing. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the Bonnie mystery! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to resist a Bonnie mystery. Your Frolic blocks look great. And two finishes? Wow, you did use your holiday weekend well. Congrats on two fun finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog. I love all librarians (so far). I'm doing the 31 day blog challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. also doing the mystery quilty; only have my raspberry strips cut out. further than I've gotten before! I'm finishing 2 baby quilts for new granddaughters, and those have priority.

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://www.donnasharp.com/abby-blackjack.html

    I'd never heard of Donna Sharp until today, but found these purses -- great inspiration for use for some of your blocks - and a zipper!
    Have a great 2020, Nann!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.