Sunday, August 18, 2019

Weekly update: friends, a festival, and a finish!


There was a Magpie meetup on Tuesday.   Phebe (Spokane) went to visit Stacey (Kansas City) on Amtrak.  That required traveling to Chicago and changing trains.  Anna (southwest of Chicago) and I (north of Chicago) met Phebe at Union Station on the return trip.  Phebe had a two-hour layover and conveniently arrived at lunchtime.  We hadn't seen Phebe in person since the  first PieFest in 1999.   What a great visit!





A TV show filming was being set up in the Union Station Great Hall.









My husband and I took our friend Pat out to lunch on Friday. She's recovering well from her broken hip (when she and I were at the ALA Annual Conference in June).  She's living in a west-side suburb 60 miles away from where we live.  It took an hour and a half to get there (mid-day) and two hours to get home (Friday rush hour + summer + Chicago with a dollop of road construction). While we were at lunch her nephew called with the good news that he'd caught the cat who had holed up in Pat's condo, refusing to come out.. Apparently Mavourneen's need for human contact after two months got the best of her.

 
I helped set up the Rotary booth at Beach Park Fest on Saturday and stayed for the morning shift.   MAST therapy dogs Dandy and Buddy  were a big hit with festival-goers!  They belong to Rotarians Bill and Debbie.




(A definite design flaw: the Rotary logo points to the sky.)









# # # # # # # # #
I am delighted and relieved to say that I finished the guild challenge quilt -- quilted, bound, labeled!
I can't show you until the reveal (September 4).  Here is a hint.



I'm now working on the Teal Mini Swap.  Beth Helfter hosts this annual fundraiser for ovarian cancer research in memory of her mother.  It's the fourth year I've participated.  The swap fabric is the teal print.  My partner is Lisa in Pennsylvania.  I'm nearly finished with the applique.  (It took longer to decide what pattern to make than to pull the fabrics and prepare the fusible appliques.)

Linking up with other quiltmakers this mid-August weekend:
 Oh Scrap!
 Design Wall Monday
 Monday Making
 Moving It Forward





6 comments:

  1. What a great week of meeting up with friends! Your fish looks cute. I'll pop over to Beth's blog to see what this is about. Maybe I need to make some turquoise blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to spend time catching up with friends. I do wonder why you call yourselves magpies, though? Very intrigued by the "Emily Dickinson" quilt for your guild. Will look forward to seeing what that's all about soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ??? about the design flaw, "Rotary pointing to the sky" ??
    Looks like everyone is having one great time though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun week with friends. Can't wait to see the challenge quilt. Thanks for sharing with moving it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on another finish. Aren't you fortunate to visit friends! Meeting at the train station sounds much easier than trying to meet at an airport.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoy seeing you have such fun!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.