Monday, August 26, 2019

Weekly update: 39 years!, a rummage sale, and catching up

Our 39th wedding anniversary was Friday.
Wow!






Our church has big rummage sales in May and in August. I helped set up on Monday afternoon and staffed the bake sale table on Friday morning.  After those short stints I have tremendous appreciation for Lou and Laura, the sale organizers who work nearly year-round to rough-sort donations and then nearly 24/7 for two weeks to set up each sale. And they both were in church on Sunday! 

I contributed many of my garage-sale leftovers to the sale.  All I can say is that I hope they found new homes.   Most of the fabric on offer was knit or polyester.  I bought all the quilt cotton --   twelve yards -- for $2.50.

The Potawatomi PowWow is held the last weekend of August at Shiloh Park in Zion.  All tribes are invited and it's open to the public.  The Zion Woman's Club serves the dinner -- this year venison stew over noodles.  There was enough left over for me to take home for our supper.  [I got a photo of the ZWC group but not of the people in their beautiful Native American garb! The man on the right was the dinner coordinator.]

# # # # # # # # # # # # # #
In the studio:







Nine State Fair blocks for the August Block Lotto.












The final wonky house for the guild BOM.

Here are all twelve.

To qualify for the prize drawing we have to set the blocks (quilting optional) by November.  I'm taking inspiration from Freddy Moran though I have yet to start.  (If you're not familiar with her work you can Google to see what I mean.)

I finished the Teal Mini Swap quilt.  I will mail it today.  Here's a corner view.  When my swap partner says she's received it I can post the full photo.


I wrote earlier that my friend Margaret asked if I could make tote bags for students at a school in Nepal that Margaret supports.  I said yes which meant I am committed.  I do NOT like production sewing.  I've decided to make 10 bags a month for four months.  Here are seven completed with 8, 9, and 10 in process.

The red fabric is "sandcastle," a kind of needle-punched denim that I've had for, oh, a decade or so.

I intended to mow the lawn today but it is pouring as I write.  Guess I'll just have to sew for a good part of the day!

Linking up with quilting friends
Monday Making
Moving It Forward
Oh Scrap
Design Wall Monday

P.S. I was just a foot away from these monarch butterflies on Sunday afternoon.



6 comments:

  1. It certainly seems like you have been busy. I love your wonky houses. They are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could've taken that photo of the 2 Monarchs in my own garden this weekend! We've had 4 in our yard lately. They dance through the air around the pollinator garden, reinforcing our determination to plant more and bigger next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, Freddy Moran. I suspect we'll see a a few B/W checkerboards in there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: Congrats on 39 years! We will be celebrating 38 on the 5th (and that's my second marriage).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 39 years! Great milestone! You have been very productive in the studio. The houses will be great. I can’t wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on 39 years. Love your State Fair blocks. I think I might need to stay off of blogs because I keep finding things I want to try. Those houses are wonderful. Have fun setting them. (By the way -- your captcha is asking to click on pictures -- TWICE!)

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.