Sunday, May 12, 2019

Weekly update: a movie, a musical, and quilting project progress

 I hope everyone had a pleasant Mother's Day! 

We began the week with an afternoon movie -- Red Joan. It didn't get great reviews but we really like Judi Dench, who starred as an elderly woman (which she is!) arrested in 1999 for espionage that she committed in the late 1940's.  It's based on a true story and I promptly put the book on reserve.

We ended the week with an afternoon musical -- Come From Away.  The touring production was in Milwaukee this weekend.  It's the story of the townspeople of Gander, Newfoundland, who welcomed 6,579 passengers from 38 planes when incoming air traffic was halted after 9/11.  We laughed and cried and thoroughly enjoyed the energetic performance.  (We went to Newfoundland in 2007 with Elderhostel and stopped briefly at Gander.) 

In the photo: with my P.E.O. chapter sister Pat. The four other P.E.O.s  sat in a different section because we couldn't get seats all together

On Sunday morning we were warmly welcomed as we joined Memorial United Methodist Church in Zion. 
(On Thursday the Memorial United Methodist Women had a welcome tea for those of us from Winthrop Harbor.)

# # # # # # # # # #

In the studio:

#1   These mug rugs -- my OMG for May -- will go into gift baskets for the AAUW Waukegan Branch officers who have completed their terms.   AAUW colors are green and blue and the gift baskets have appropriately-colored items.







#2   Guild Round Robin.  CB provided the black print and the yellow print that I used in the pinwheel border. The rest was from my stash.  CB said she plans to give the quilt to Project Linus.  This is the last round. We will get our starter blocks with five borders back next month.

#3  Guild Block of the Month. This is Block 9 of 12.




#4  These scrappy slab blocks (9-1/2" unf.)  were fun (and slightly addictive).

#5  A design in a back-issue quilt magazine (guild freebie table) inspired me to take out the box with my hoard of South African shweshwe indigo prints.   Stay tuned for pictures!


Linking up with
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
 Oh Scrap!
 Moving It Forward

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Nann! You've been really busy. Both with quilting and other activities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What nice projects! I love the scrappy slab blocks best. Can't wait to see what you do with the indigo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That house block is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you find time for anything, you have a full plate? Your Round Robin is very interesting but all are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice projects nann...you should get the DVD "maudie" filmed in newfoundland...beautiful scenery and an awesome story based on true life...don't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your guild has some fun things going on. The block and round robin look fun. Good find on the magazine. Can't wait to see your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great bunch of fun things you'e been working on! Those houses are going to make up into a fabulous quilt. I know you give away a lot of your quilts... is the houses quilt going away or staying with you for a while? You may not have noticed it but my comments haven't been being posted for the last several weeks. It's something on the Apple cell, iPad and Safari on my laptop. So, I can only comment from Chrome that is only on my laptop. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this movie but will be placing a hold on the book here, too. Thanks.
    Nor have I heard of the play. Another event to add to my list. I hope it comes to a nearby theater soon. I've never been to Greenland but would like to go someday.
    And more lovely quilts. Wonderful colors. Clever of you to keep them wall size or smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fun house block and your slabs are great too.
    The play sounds interesting. I had no idea and never thought about what happened to all those passengers after grounding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Round Robin quilt is so bright and fun, perfect for Project Linus! Hope you had a great Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great projects-you have been busy! Thanks for sharing on Design Wall Mondays, Judy

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.