Monday, April 8, 2019

Weekly update: a nice gift

 On Monday I gave "Every Quilt Tells a Story" for the Waukegan Woman's Club. I knew a couple of the members from AAUW and P.E.O. and had met others on other occasions.  My presentation includes vintage/antique quilts from my collection and a selection of my own work. I ask club members to bring quilts of their own (received as gifts, inherited, or those they've made) and talk about them.  I charge $50 (clubs don't have big program budgets -- I know!) and mileage (if it's more than 10 miles from home). WWC had a plated lunch which was very good.
       Several people have expressed interest in the quilts that I show.  There are some photos in this post

At quilt guild on Wednesday we learned tips for sewing machine maintenance.  Sharon, the speaker, reminded us to clip thread from the spool and draw the tail out through the needle, rather than pulling the thread up (backwards) through the tension discs.

Benartex had a blog hop in February. Each participating blogger offered a giveaway. I won this 10-piece FQ bundle from my entry at  Carol's  Just Let Me Quilt .













I've begun turquoise/teal pinwheels for this month's RSC .  My plan in 2019 is to make a pinwheel for each day of the month in that month's color plus gray/white/taupe.


Under the needle now:  the churn dash quilt. I hope to finish it tomorrow because I need to send it to the ALA conference office.  I'll post a full-on photo when it's all done.  (The backing is a thrift-shop sheet.)

Today's link ups:
So Scrappy
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
Moving It Forward
Oh, Scrap!


7 comments:

  1. I bet your talk was amazing! Wish I was closer! Love the Fat Quarter pack - very springy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your win. I am sure you will put those fabrics to good use. The aqua blocks are looking good and the Churn Dash is looking even better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to win those pretty fabrics. The churn dash quilt is looking great--was this from Barb's block swap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the pinwheel colors and the churn dash quilt. Churn dash is currently on my top list to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too would have enjoyed hearing your talk and seeing all those quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool to win those fat quarters. It's always fun to get some fresh new fabrics into the stash -- esp free fabs! That's a big project to do a block a day. But you'll have lots of blocks to play with when done. How big are they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the machine tip! I never thought about that, but do tend to pull my thread out the wrong way. A block a day, especially of those cute pinwheels, will make such a great quilt :)

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.