Sunday, September 2, 2018

Stash report, a finish, and OMG for September

I had oral surgery on Tuesday to remove both left wisdom teeth. All went well in my mouth.  On Wednesday I developed severe lower back pain -- the muscles at the tailbone. My primary care physician (whom I saw Friday) said the cause is likely the sedated sleep (immobile) in the reclining dentist's chair. She prescribed a muscle relaxant and recommended continuing ibuprofen and using a heating pad.  The tightness eases during the day but comes back at night as I turn and turn to find a comfortable position to sleep.  Getting out of bed is hard.   (I can reach up and sideways. I can walk, including up and down stairs. But I can't bend down.) 

I've had to cancel some activities -- I skipped a quilter's estate sale on Saturday.  We may not make it to the concert in the park this evening (but we may go: my back is better in the evening). ( Update Monday a.m.: we didn't go to the concert and we are not going to the Mayors' Prayer Breakfast.)  I've bowed out of walking (3 miles) alongside the Zion Woman's Club's car in tomorrow's Jubilee Days Parade.  ZWC luncheon is Tuesday and quilt guild potluck is Wednesday.   I hope I'll be in better shape to take the bus to the Wisconsin Quilt Expo on Friday.


I can sew, thank goodness!

Here is Poinsettia Wreath, 34 x 34.  It is he fifth of five items I've made for the silent auction at our guild show at the end of this month.  The pattern is by Karen Bush, published in McCall's Quilting, December 2008.

I finished the wall hanging in August so it counts in the the stash report.
August Fabric IN:  7 yards, $44
August Fabric OUT: 35-5/8

YTD Fabric IN: 210-5/8, $750  ($3.55/yd)
YTD Fabric OUT: 401-1/4




It's time to declare goals for September's OMG.  Mine is two-part:
A.   Catch up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I haven't made blocks for July or August, let alone September.



B.  Make a small quilt for the Teal Mini Swap . My swap partner is Pat D. in Pennsylvania.  (She and I have mutual quilting friends. Small world.)  I'm auditioning fabric.   The swap fabric is the teal ogee (slanted to the left in the photo).
I'm mulling over patterns with an eye on applique.

I'm linking up for OMG at Elm Street Quilts
and to  Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
Moving It Forward
Design Wall Monday


P.S.  I won half the Block Lotto for August!  40 California Poppy blocks will be coming my way. What fun!




6 comments:

  1. The wreath is really lovely! I would bid on it! I hope your back is better soon. Hardly seems fair that your mouth is fine but you are having problems with your back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice projects. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Poinsettia Wreath. Really beautiful. Sorry about the sedation after-effects of your wisdom teeth extraction. Thankfully it sounds like a semi-normal thing and will improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the back problems clear up soon. I know from personal experience those are no fun at all. Good luck with your September OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poinsettia wreath is beautiful! Thanks for sharing with Moving it Forward.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.