Sunday, July 15, 2018

Weekly update: gardens and three finished projects

Six local gardens, three in Beach Park and three in Winthrop Harbor, were featured in the Illinois Dunesland Garden Club's annual garden walk on Saturday.  The library is the pickup point for maps.

All the gardens looked so lush!  Fountains, garden benches, and gazing globes added nice touches. The hubcab fence was fun!

There's no admission charge for the walk but there's an array of raffle prizes on display in the library lobby.  I won two of them: an envelope with a $5 gift card for a local restaurant and a coupon for a dozen free donuts at a local bakery, and a 60-quart wheeled Igloo cooler.  I will use the former and donate the latter to next year's Rotary Golf Outing.



I finished the I  Spy quilt. This is my OMG for July. 

I used two pink prints in the blocks and a third pink print in the border. The inner border and the binding are two different magentas.


I used Tonya's Alphabet for the lettering on the back of the quilt.







I made two pieces for the silent auction at our guild show in September.  On the right: the runner is 19 x 43. The pattern is by Debbie Field (Granola Girl) and was published in McCall's, October, 2008. (After I took the picture I realized that the pine boughs in the upper left are rotated inward rather than outward. Let's just call that a design element.) 
On the left:  this wall hanging is also 19 x 43.  The pattern is by Jocelyn Ueng (It's So Emma) and was online at American Patchwork and Quilting.  The big trees look very brown, but they're actually soft olive green.
Last month I made a Halloween wall hanging for the silent auction. I hope to make one or two more to contribute.

We leave for New England on Tuesday: a visit with family, a Road Scholar course, and the Magpies' biennial meet up!

The weekly link up:
 Monday Making
 Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
Moving It Forward

9 comments:

  1. My mother was a Road Scholar. I remember envying the access and information she received in those classes. Have fun!
    Your I Spy quilt is a delight with the bright stars and subtle background variations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riley's I Spy quilt is sweet! Have fun on your trip(s) and keep the Magpie cackling down to a dull roar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The I Spy quilt is so fun with the pink borders. Love the name on the back, too. Enjoy your traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the use of the pink background on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea for a few completed projects! I really like the pine tree runner. If you hadn't of mentioned the inverted branches no one would have even thought a thing about it. Hum, I may have to start looking for some smaller projects to make for various auctions and guild sales. These both are nice ones. Have fun on your trip. What are you learning about this time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The I Spy Quilt turned out beautifully! So did your auction items. Enjoy your time with family. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The many pinks I Spy quilt turned out great!Congratulations on a fine finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty gardens, gorgeous quilts, and a fun road trip! Who could ask for anything more!? Enjoy New England!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.