Sunday, July 1, 2018

#ALAAC2018: the ALABiblioquilters


The ALA Biblioquilters began when Connie and I met on a street corner at the 1998 ALA Conference in Washington, D.C. We'd met virtually on the PubLib discussion group but we hadn't met in person.  With a little PubLib promotion we soon had a group of librarian/quiltmakers, some of whom are still participating. Since then we've made dozens of quilts, large and small. Some are group efforts and other are individuals' contributions.

The very first ALABQ meetup was at the 1999 annual conference in New Orleans.  Back then there was a quilt shop in the Garden District. We took the streetcar out and walked back.   The next year we began making group quilts for the Exhibits Round Table Silent Auction. Correction:  we made one group quilt.  I coordinated it -- "a block representing your state" in red/yellow/blue/cream.  The quilt sold for $240.

This year's quilts raised $3405.









Left: Dash of Color (blocks by the group; I set and quilted them; bought by a friend for $225).
ZigZag (made by me, bought by another friend for $350)
Black White Bright (made by me, $495, and the purchaser sent me a thank you note!)
Gorjuss ($400 -- the quilt maker said it was about the easiest quilt ever (a panel print)

Left: Louisiana (blocks by group; $310)
Tumbling Blocks ($325)
I Spy Jars (blocks by group; $240)
Small Lousiana (blocks by group; $100)
fREADom ($300)



 Left: Bright Green #6 ($80)
Little Red ($75)
Book Nerd ($250)
DWR Runner ($150)
Freedom Stars ($100)










My records are incomplete. Here are the totals that I have:
2013:   $3893
2014:   $3650
2015:   $2050
2016:   $1885
2017:   $3185
2018:   $3405
That's $17,648 for the Hoy Scholarship Fund.  (Sometime I will track down 2000-2012.)



3 comments:

  1. What a great organization! As a former Library Science student (now a teacher), I'm so glad to see my fellow book-lovers are also fellow quilt-lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great audience who are willing to pay reasonable prices for your quilts. What a great fundraiser for the scholarship. Loved seeing all those quilts. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story. Isn't it fun when you can find people in your profession who also have the same love of quilting as you?

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.