Friday, January 26, 2018

Two ribbons and OMG report for January

The GFWC-IL* Tenth District art contest was Wednesday in conjunction with the monthly district luncheon.  Mind you, this is a very small-potatoes event.  "Initial Colors" was the lone entry in the wallhanging category. "Scraps for Edna" was one of two entries in the quilt & embroidery category. But it's fun to win ribbons and have your work admired. 

Marty is a fellow member of the Zion Woman's Club. She entered her photos and won best in show.

*General Federation of Women's Clubs

The art contest chair was the president of ZWC. She invited her two daughters and a friend to be the contest judges. I knew one of the daughters, met the other (who lives a couple of blocks from me).  The friend said that she'd been a teacher at Lake Forest H.S. I asked her what she taught (French and Spanish).  "Oh, you must know Eleanor McM," I said.  Indeed! (Eleanor is an AAUW and quilting friend whom I've known for nearly 20 years.)  Six degrees of separation? More like two or three.

On to the OMG January Finish Link Up . My two OMGs (how's that for a contradiction in terms) were finished mid-month.

I stated that I wanted to get Initial Colors assembled.  I also got it quilted, bound and labeled.

I repurposed a never-used briefcase by making a batik panel that covers the U.S. Census 2000 logo.  I also made a foam cushion for the strap.

Today I'm quilting the neutral bars -- gotta come up with a better name for it -- while I listen to an audiobook that LJ sent me to review.


4 comments:

  1. Great idea to cover up a logo on a briefcase. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE OMG finish. I like your repurposed briefcase. That is such a great idea. On to February OMGs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have repurposed several bags by adding quilted panels to cover logos I don't care for. LIKE the colorful one you show.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.