Wednesday, January 3, 2018

January OMG and first flimsy of the year

Tuesday sunset: clear and COLD
It's been bitterly cold here in northeasternmost Illinois and most of the country. Had our trip to the Georgia coast happened we'd have been cold there because we didn't plan to take heavy coats. This evening's quilt guild meeting has been cancelled due to the cold.










busting apart at the seams
My One Monthly Goal for January is actually two projects. 

I plan to repurpose a briefcase/tote to take to next month's ALA Midwinter Meeting . It will replace a repurposed briefcase that's worn out after a dozen or so conferences.







18 years old but never used




















The second project is to finish the New York Beauty blocks for the guild challenge.  I will need 16.  The reveal is in March, so if I make the blocks in January I can quilt it in February.



Here is the Elm Street Quilts OMG linkup.










On Ringo Lake:  1 block completed, 49 to go.











Here's the first flimsy (unquilted top) of 2018.  Late last week I wanted to work on something that was different from the other works-in-progress (NYB, ORL, and the Block Heads). I clipped this pattern from a back issue of Quilt magazine months ago.  The designers are Tammy Silvers and Julia LaBauve.  The blocks are 12" fin., three sizes (2.5" center w/ 1.5 strips; 2.5" center with 2" strips; 3.5" center with 2.5" strips).  5-7/8 yards used, all from my stash (of course). 

11 comments:

  1. You've been busy sewing! I'm impressed with the stack of nearly finished blocks for Ringo Lake. Your first flimsy of 2018 is fantastic. Thanks for the specifics: that one is going on my "to make" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only would you have been cold on the coast, you might have gotten snowed in! SIL in Savannah is expecting snow. Nice looking ORL block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of fun projects! The New York Beauty blocks are really pretty! You are way ahead of me with On Ringo Lake, and I love the flimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your NYB blocks are really pretty. I can't wait to see the finish! Nice flimsy! You have been really busy. Stay warm. It can be challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual you have several great projects going. The flimsy looks great -- but really, you had that many different black and whites and grays in your stash? I didn't choose to do On Ringo Lake but I really like the blocks I have seen and the whole quilt shown on Bonnie's blog. But I really don't need big quilts any more. I do like your NY Beauty blocks. Those batiks(?) just glow in your colors. Good luck with OMG -- I must decide what goal I'll choose this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully it's warmed up a bit since midweek, it's been bitterly cold here too. Your New York Beauty blocks are gorgeous, love your color choices for those! Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Nann! Happy New Year ! We love all your projects, and your New York Beauty blocks are especially stunning! We always enjoying reading your blog and seeing all your wonderful photos ! Sending you best wishes that your unbelievably freezing weather will soon warm up. Best wishes, from Marina and Daryl Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome NYB blocks - such rich colors and gorgeous batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Nann - What a nice first flimsy - I sure can relate to wanting something off-the-list to work on. Did that myself for my first 2018 flimsy. :) Been good at working on my priority projects otherwise. I really like your NYB blocks - nice fabrics there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, Nann, your New York Beauty blocks are just stunning! I have always wanted to make a New York Beauty. I'll look forward to seeing your quilt come together after the Reveal!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.