Monday, October 9, 2017

Weekly update: TV, totes, and a new start


 We have one TV. It's in the basement family room that is mostly my studio. There's a comfortable armchair where my husband sits. I sew.

Our new TV was delivered on Wednesday. It hadn't occurred to me that the maple washstand that served as the stand for the 12-year-old 19" TV would not be large enough.  My family's kitchen table from the 1950's was pressed into service. (It ceased being used as the kitchen table when we moved in 1962. It was in my dad's basement workshop until my sister and I cleaned out the house in 2002. It's been in my basement laundry room.)   I now need to find places to put the things that were on top of and under that table.

Here's the table in use.  (My mother in 1955, my sister in 1958.)  It's hard to imagine our family of four sitting around that little dinette table, even when my sister and I were small.

# # # # #

I've made three tote bags from the purple and green BOM blocks that I showed last week. More precisely, I have made three tote bag outsides and three sets of handles.  I need to quilt the bag outsides, cut and attach linings, and put them all together.  Each of the three uses two blocks, which means I have six blocks to find uses for. I'm kind of stuck on designs at the moment -- and the bright lime/purple combination is losing its appeal because there is so much of it. I'll set all that aside for a few days.

I've begun the next project: a quilt for a colleague whose baby is due in November.  A recent review of quilt magazines led to tearing out patterns (and pitching the remainder).

This is from a back issue of McCall's. The pattern is by Gerri Robinson.

Here's the I Spy version so far. I'm going to make 36 blocks.  [Novelties are cut 4-1/2 x 6-1/2. Sashes are cut 2-1/2 x 6-1/2.  Thus the blocks are 6 x 8.]


Monday linkups:
Main Crush Monday
Monday Making
Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday












8 comments:

  1. What a great pattern for an I-spy quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We play Bunco and one of the gals loans out her 1950s card table. That thing is so low I can hardly get under the table with my height! Very cute pattern to use for I-spy, different and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you could cut the lime green purple combination with some gray! Love your I Spy quilt! They sure take a lot of thought, like improv does. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bright colors of the eye-spy blocks. It will make a lovely quilt. That is one lucky baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun pattern! Looks like it's coming together quickly. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen table reminded me of the one I sat at while growing up. It didn't make the move to Oklahoma. You've got a good start on that baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed we had room for 6 of us around the table at our house! But then again, we were much smaller then. Love that baby quilt idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember those days when all activity centered around the kitchen table.

    What an unusual idea for an I Spy quilt. How cute.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.