Monday, August 14, 2017

Weekly update: the little things

Little things can make a pleasant difference!

I needed a new ironing board cover, not so immediately that it was on my shopping list, but it was in the back of my mind.  I got this one at an estate sale for $5, package unopened.










More bargains:  a black-and-white flat queen sheet and a 2-yard piece of cotton for $1.25 at a church rummage sale.  Sheets make great quilt backs.






I finished quilting the polka-dot circles. I'm auditioning bindings.












I contributed this quilt to the silent auction at the Full Score Chamber Orchestra gala on Saturday evening. We sat at the table with the woman who won it -- she went back several times to be sure hers was the high bid. She was so excited!  FSCO has a new name: Lake County Symphony Orchestra.  We drank our morning coffee from the souvenir mugs bearing the new logo.







My next ZB News column will be about lighthouses.  That required field research:  visits to Wind Point north of Racine and Southport in downtown Kenosha on Friday, then to Grosse Point in Evanston on Sunday.

(I bought these lighthouse fabric panels last year.)
Wind Point



Monday linkups:  Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Southport

Grosse Point 

View from Grosse Point
Grosse Pointe selfie 






5 comments:

  1. I heard recently on one of the trivia shows that the largest number of lighthouses in the US is on one of the great lakes. One forgets the commercial traffic and how big those bodies of water are that they need lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking good there nann....a serendipity post today like mine...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you found some great deals this week. The polka dot circles quilts looks fantastic. Love all the pictures of the lighthouses. Happy sewing! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I love your polka dot strings! I always have an eye out for different ways to use strings and your circles are great! Did you applique them? If so, turned edge or raw, by hand or machine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your circle quilt looks great. We did a tour of lighthouses in the UP. It was fun to see them. Fast forward twenty years or so and we went to quite a few in the outer banks of North Carolina in the last year or two. I am too claustrophobic to go up stairs in any of the ones in NC but I remembering going up the ones in Mi. Go figure. I'll have to check pictures some day but I think the NC ones had steeper stairs that were metal and you could see down them. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.