(Note to self: be sure to save blog posts while typing....I was just about finished when I pressed a key and the entire post disappeared.)
We had a pleasant and unevent-filled Thanksgiving. I took Wednesday off and enjoyed the extra day. We avoided shopping on Friday but I succumbed to the appeal of Joann's "25% off total purchase" on Saturday and got some good bargains. DH joined me on a beach/woods walk on Thursday when temperatures were still mild. I bundled up for walks on sunny but chilly Saturday and Sunday.
Kathy for the idea!)
P.E.O. emblem is the star and there were 7 founders, hence the 7 appliques.)
Sew Many Swaps had a recent exchange for 9-patch blocks in brown, tan, and blue, as seeds for Disappearing 9-Patch. I got to cutting and sewing (leaders-and-enders while I was making all those Texas Tears blocks). The brown-and-tan setting/border fabric was a Joann's bargain at 60% markdown plus 25% off.
I keep rearranging the blocks to better distribute the lights and darks, but this gives you an idea of the design I have in mind.
It's Easy Street Monday on Bonnie's blog , and as always, take a look at Design Wall Monday on Judy's blog.
Sunday, November 25, 2012
Sunday, November 18, 2012
The library's 8th annual craft fair was also on Saturday. My shift at the library staff table was 3-4 p.m., the closing hour of the show. I sold two quilts at $60 each. (I spent $47 at other crafters' booths, so I came out ahead.)
Sunday afternoon DH and I went to see the new movie Lincoln. It was excellent.
Henrietta left a comment on my DWM post last week. I looked up her blog and found this quilt in progress. She in turn posted a link to a pattern for that design by Cheryl Malkowski for Timeless Treasures: here It was just right for a raffle quilt for the AAUW holiday luncheon next month. I pulled out reds, greens, and cream-on-cream. Cheryl's instructions made cutting the "chisel" pieces easy. I used two Christmas prints for a pieced back. I free-motioned in a medium-sized meander. The binding was easy, and I was done! [Stash used: 6-3/8 yards.]
Then I took the photo. And looked. And found that two of the chisels are pieced the wrong way. Drat. I will still take it to the AAUW party and hope that no one will notice the mispiecing.
I made the pattern according to the directions, with 4 reds and 4 greens cut into 3.5" strips. If I made it again I would use at least 6 of each color and I'd cut the strips smaller. That would make smaller blocks, of course.
Take a look at what other quiltmakers are working on this week at Judy's Patchwork Times.
Sunday, November 11, 2012
This year the BOM has had a different 12" star block each month. Participants are invited to make samplers in colorways of their own choosing. I've saved the patterns in case I'd like to give that a try.
Here is this weekend's finish. The scrappy hearts were a Block Swapper's exchange. I set them and added a white border (see here ). When I pulled the flimsy out of the box I thought that the all-white border was rather boring. I tried a matchstick border (red with white tips) but that had too much red. In the end, I made a checkerboard which turned out just right. I quilted hearts in the hearts, meandering in the background, and more "almost feathers" in the border. The finished quilt is 48 x 54.
See what other quiltmakers have on their design walls at Judy's Patchwork Times.
(And leave a comment! They are appreciated.)
Monday, November 5, 2012
Easy Street is Bonnie Hunter's 2012 mystery quilt. Her colors are apple green, turquoise, and purple with a gray constant and black-on-white as an accent.
I have all the green, turquoise, and purple well-represented in my stash. The instructions call for 2 yards of one gray, and I don't think I have 2 yards of a 'suitable' gray. Fabric shopping is not a hardship!
The first clues will be posted November 23. I'm looking forward to this project!
|Fat quarters + yardage|
|See? I really like the combination! |
|Triangles in waiting|
"Round up and trim down" is my preferred method for making half-square triangles (or, more accurately, triangle-squares). The trimming was always tedious: press open, cut two or three or sometimes four times to square up the unit. I'm grateful to Nancie V. for introducing me to Eleanor Burns' Triangle Square Up Ruler. The trimming is done prior to pressing. Two cuts, every time.
The open-toe quilting foot broke after about five years and miles of quilting. The nearest Pfaff dealer is 30 miles away. Fortunately a replacement foot was in stock. While I was there I bought another quarter-inch foot. (One of the pins in the foot I've been using is getting loose; when it comes out the foot is not usable.) Look at the difference between the old (left) and new (right). There's more to grip and hold the fabric to the feed dogs. Good idea.
|old and new feet|
And, finally, a fast finish! Homespun Friendship is quilted and bound. I meandered in the stars and sashes. I'm getting more proficient with "almost feathers" in the border. (See the previous blog post to see the entire top.)
I've used 14 yards of fabric this month!
You can see what other quiltmakers are working on at Judy's Design Wall Monday.
Friday, November 2, 2012
"Homespun Stars" uses blocks are from a Block Swappers' exchange. The slab border is, admittedly, uninventive. It's a pretty dark turquoise with a subtle orange stripe and I had enough of it.