Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Challenge begun, but meanwhile....

Here are blocks for the challenge quilt, thus far.  I redesigned the quilt in my head Sunday evening while we were at Christ Community Church to see "King of Kings."  

Meanwhile, I have come down with a cold that is keeping me at home for two days. (How nice of my DH to share it with me!)  In between working on library business at home, and napping, I finished this scrappy top. It began as leaders-and-enders, using 2.5" squares.  I often get impatient when making L-and-E projects. I just go ahead and crank out quantities of the units and assemble them.  This is about 74" x 86". 
When I ran out of the speckledy sashing fabric I substituted a similar slate blue (the vertical strip). (I got these circa-1990-slate blues from an estate purchase.  I swear they haven't been in may stash that long.)  The border is one of those "I can't bear to cut this up" fabrics that I have had for, oh, five or six years.  (I still have a yard of it, so I don't feel totally bereft. )

Years ago I read an article by a famous quiltmaker who said she tried to use a bit of orange in each of her quilts to add sparkle. I don't remember who that was or where I read it, but that's why I often have an orange (or somewhat orange) inner border.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Still procrastinating

Two years ago I proposed that NCLQG use Bonnie Hunter's pattern Cathedral Stars for the 2009 raffle quilt.  I made a couple of sample blocks, as did my bee-mates Dawn, Julie, and Joan.  CS was indeed chosen for the raffle quilt, Julie coordinated the project, and the results were beautiful and lucrative.  This past week, while *still* not ready to work on the guild challenge, I pulled out the sample blocks (3 Jacob's Ladders, 6 stars, and enough red/black half-square triangles to make 13 more Jacob's Ladders).  This 84 x 84 top is the result.

[Update: the flimsy was quilted by Wendy Maston. I donated it to AAUW-Waukegan Area Branch as the spring, 2010 raffle quilt.  Ticket sales were approximately $500, donated to AAUW projects.]