Friday, January 18, 2008

All but the borders!

I'm not sure how I'm going to border it, but I love the way it turned out.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Carolina Crossroads Step 6

It was good to get back to my studio last evening. I finished Step 6 of the mystery quilt and here are the photos.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Carolina Crossroads progress

Here are photos of Steps 3, 4, and 5. I did 3 and 4 last week and completed 5 last evening. (I don't know why the photos are such different sizes!)

I used the Companion Angle ruler for the first time. (I had purchased it long ago but had not taken it out of the package. I'd completely forgotten that I had it, but was pleased to find it before I bought another one.) The ruler makes it easy to cut quarter-square triangles from strips, but I learned that the strips have to be lined up precisely.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Final Piecing for 2007 and The Annual Reckoning

I finished "Quad 9 Patch" on December 31. The blocks are from the BlockSwappers exchange. The size (72 x 81) was determined by the amount of sashing fabric I had. There was no rhyme or reason to the arrangement of the 9 patches.
And now, for the Annual Reckoning:

I began keeping track of fabric bought/fabric used in January, 1998. By then I had been a serious quilter for four years and had a considerable stash underway (fueled by 25 years of garment sewing). At the beginning of each year since I have been brave enough to post the results to the supportive and appreciative audiences in my online quilting groups. This year I’m being braver (or more foolish) by posting the results on the blog, where just about anyone can see them.

In 2007 two quilting friends and I bought a quilter’s estate. My share was 1400+ yards for which I paid $650.00. In addition I bought 318 yards for $1,252. Total: 1718 yards, $1902, avg. price $1.11 yd.

I used 335 yards. Here's what I accomplished:
I completed 41 quilts. (Some of them had been started prior to 2007.) Of those, 12 were gifts, 9 were donations, and 4 were sold (for $430!).
I completed 8 tops which are not yet quilted.
I made and donated 100 tote bags to Care Bags for Kids. I made 200 HeartStrings blocks. I completed 2 24-block quilts and 3 24-block tops, and sent the rest to the HS coordinator. I made 44 coasters and 15 pillowcases. (6 of the latter were a commission —I got paid to make them!)
I remembered how to sew with a 5/8" seam and made a blouse, a dress, a pair of slacks, 2 jackets, and a tote ag for myself. I emptied 83 spools of thread.
Here’s to a wonderful, fiber-filled 2008!