Sunday, February 22, 2015

DWM: two settings and a ribbon

My quilting friend Vic rescued me from last week's design dilemma when she commented, "How would you feel about using a narrow (2", maybe?) cheddar inner border, then the dark blue piano keys, then bind off with cheddar?"  I didn't have any cheddar batik, but I did have red-orange. It would have been easier if I'd switched out the eight red-orange HSTs before I assembled the blocks. :)  The flimsy is 70 x 78.

And I have some piano keys left over, but not too many.


The  Rainbow Scrap Challenge color this month is PINK.  The challenge is to make something, anything, using the monthly color. I'm trying to use units that I have on hand.  I had about 18 four-patch blocks made out of pink/white and red/white HSTs. I pulled pulled 3" pink squares out of the 3" square box, I cut up 3" squares from miscellaneous white-on-white scraps, and made a bunch more HSTs and then four-patches.  How to set them?  



Version #1. 

But what if I set them on point?  And here's how they turned out. 

The flimsy is 40 x 40.  The idea of a border with an appliqued vine has popped into my head.  Hmmm....











And the ribbon? I entered Lakeside Sunset into the General Federation of Women's Clubs-Illinois 10th District Art Show. I won first place! No monetary prize, but a ribbon is always nice to get. (You can read about the quilt here.) 










I'm trying to link up with the RSC here. I'm also joining other quiltmakers at Judy's Patchwork Times  and Beth's  Love Laugh Quilt .

13 comments:

  1. I love the red stop border in your top quilt with the pops of red throughout. Nicely done! And your pink RSC is adorable! Congrats! on your blue ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmy that one on the top just sings with the red pops!! Congrats on the ribbons! And I like the pink on point - that is a great setting for those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the surprise of the red in the top quilt, really keeps the eye moving. I almost always like blocks on point, and your's looks wonderful. Would be great with the applique in the border. A ribbon, wow, that's awesome, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! that first quilt is a winner! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo!! Knew that quilt was a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job with the quilts! And kudos on the ribbon. :- )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the ribbon. I just love that second quilt - amazing how putting things on point can make a completely different look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The red-orange border definitely works and your pink blocks turned into a beautiful flimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the red a lot. Cheddar would have made it more old fashion looking. Congrats on the ribbon. Always nice to get kudos for something you like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow nann...that is gorgeous....can i copy that layout? imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery you know....and congrats on the ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the blue ribbon! I'm so glad that my musings helped you, and I love what you did with the red-orange accents!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. That is so lovely. I particularly like the bits of red and how they add sparkle & pizzazz to the quilt. Oh, and also thank you for your comment on my "Blush & Bashful" quilt

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.