Sunday, February 5, 2012

DWM: got blues?

I pulled out blue fabric today.  Here it is.

Fat Quarters (and pieces of FQs)







CW Reproduction blues

Oldies: slate blue and that dated primitive-tan-and-blue. How many plaids did they make?!

The reason for this exercise was to pull out periwinkle blues and turquoise for a forthcoming quilt for granddaughter Rachel's graduation in June. I'm still contemplating what block/pattern I'll use. 

This is my most favorite blue fabric. It is NOT a batik, though it looks like one.  I bought it at the Sewing Network in Auburn in 1992 or thereabouts. I pull it out and think about what I might make out of it...and then I put it back. :)

Reshelved!  (Looks as though I could use some more dark blue, doesn't it?)

I had 3" nine patch blocks (the result of many Block Swappers exchanges) and light/dark HSTs already made, so it was easy to set this 52 x 55 quilt.  It's quilted and bound, ready for the next donate-a-quilt occasion.  (This is the third time I've made this design. I love the way the nine patch blocks sparkle.)



Go to Patchwork Times  to see what other quiltmakers have on their design walls this Monday
.

20 comments:

  1. What a glorious exercise in petting your copious fabrics. I envy the breadth of your stash. I visited Keepsake today, where prices are now over $11/yard. I marvel at the replacement cost if we were to lose our fabrics to fire or flood. What you pulled really sparkles! Good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun playing in the fabrics and then sorted so nicely for just the right time. That is quite the donation quilt, lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun to shop your stash like that? I have to tell you, your non-favorite is one I love! I think it's so fun. I guess that's what makes the quilting world go 'round, huh? LOL! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your donation quilt. The colors are just perfect.
    I love your not-batik, too. It looks like indigo to me. I saw a Churn Dash quilt made of indigo and white that was really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the nine patches in that quilt - that would be a keeper to me :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of little pieces to donate but I know someone will feel comforted by it. Pulling out all that fabric is how I shop my stash, too. It also gives me a chance to refold and put things back neatly. That's probably what I should be doing rather than being on this computer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some lucky person will receive a beautiful, color-filled quilt and be amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yowsers! Lovely donation quilt. Isn't it nice to be able to make a quilt from already made blocks? I've started getting a bit more organized so most of my finished blocks are in one place. It may be time to build a quilt from there!

    HAhahaha My word verification for this comment was delint. How appropriate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing all the photos of your beautiful fabrics! It is so much fun to play with them! This will be a beautiful donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your nine patch quilt is stunning. Love your colors. Looks like you came up with something to play with in your stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nine-patches and HSTs make for such a classic quilt. I LOVE yours! Give me a simple, traditional quilt over a 'fancy' on any day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would be in heaven in your sewing room! Blue is my favorite color and I was drooling all over my computer screen looking at your stash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your scrappy nine patch is just the best. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE what you did with those 9patches. Lots of lovely blues to play with too - enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun to see your pictures! Yes, that quilt does have the "sparkle" element.

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad to see somebody who has more blue fabric than i do...and i love the 9 patch quilt. interesting contemporary photos too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually saw fabric for $12/yard and nearly died. I treasure my stach more than ever now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful quilt! I have "a few" scraps and I feel one of these coming along soon.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.