Print Friendly and PDF With Strings Attached: Garage Sale at the sign of the red, buff, and green balloons

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Garage Sale at the sign of the red, buff, and green balloons


(Note that one of them is a gold star!)
It's been 7 years since I had a garage sale. Since then I moved to a larger house, which only meant more space to squirrel away stuff. Then DH and I combined households: a lot of this has GOT to go.
Preparing for a garage sale is physically and
emotionally exhausting. "I remember when I got this....This would be useful someday....Hmm, $1 or .50?....Why did I keep this? I never did like it."
My ad led with what I thought would be a big draw: vintage Fiestaware, Longaberger baskets, and a Heywood-Wakefield table. The Longaberger baskets sold right away (an old gray one for $5 and 10-year-old bread basket for $15....and if you think I gave them away, you should have been here to snap up the bargains). Yet the Fiesta wasn't touched. (11 luncheon plates, 4 salad plates, a milk pitcher, if you're interested.)
The first day was quite successful! $549.40. The largest purchase was by a woman who bought two finished quilts ($100 and $75) and six unfinished tops ($100). By selling flimsies I no longer have an obligation to finish them!
Stay tuned for the results of today's sale. ($1.25 so far: 7:59 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping to read my blog. I can't respond to every comment, but be assured that I appreciate each one.